1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Celebration of Bo -- streaming video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 17, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Bo Schembechler dead....

We all got an email last night that it is not to be referenced that way anymore.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

While my condolences go out to the Schembechler family and all those he touched, nobody seems to remember he ran Ernie Harwell out of town when Bo was with the Tigers and replaced him with Rick Rizz and Bob Rathburn.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I kind of figured it would be somewhere around the fifth page that the contrarian trolls would come out.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it was mentioned on a separate thread, which is whereyou can feel free to take these kinds of comments. I might also add, that I wouldnt be surprised if Ernie Harwell was one of the first to show up at his funeral...

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

One comment and I'm a lifelong asshole? Cute.

Of course I've made mistakes, short of running one of the greatest voices of all time out of town. Anytime someone else dies, the good and bad are always mentioned, but no where have I heard or read about the Harwell situation since Bo's passing.

Notice I never said Fuck Bo or anything like that. I just pointed out a negative from Bo's legacy.

Great football coach, and, from the looks of it, a great man.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, his Tigers tenure has been mentioned in just about every retrospective feature I've read/watched. And, of course, they always mention Harwell.

Bo caught the heat for something that wasn't his decision. But he was part of the group that forced out Harwell, yes.

But Ernie got his job back; life moved on.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

My mistake, then. I hadn't seen anything about the Harwell situation.

Also, I appreciate you not jumping all over my case for trying to point something out, but instead, making your case without name-calling. As always, buckweave handles himself with class.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're welcome.

For an example: AP even quoted Bud Selig's canned statement in one of its reax pieces. Bud mentioned the Tigers job in his robotic press release in expressing his condolences.

Hal McCoy wrote a great column (when does he not?) on his relationship with Bo. Had some funny stories about Bo's attitude toward baseball.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought the Harwell move was Tom Monaghan's, not Bo's.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ultimately, it would have been Monaghan's call. You are correct, sir.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, it would have been Monaghan's call, obviously -- what I meant to say more was that Bo was just taking marching orders and didn't necessarily wanna see Ernie fired.

12. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

First of all, as a friend of the Harwell Family, the reason that Harwell would be at Bo's Funeral would be due to the fact that Ernie had class. Bo did not, as evidenced by his public comments that falsely accused Ernie of running to the media. Ernie did not. Bo did.

Secondly, it was NOT Monahagn's call to fire Ernie, it was Bo's.

Draft saved Draft deleted