1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A case study in today's media: Mike Shanahan and Super Bowl or bust

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah that made me laugh. You're on top of things today Joe.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Since 1990, there have been 14 franchises to win the Super Bowl and 14 to win the World Series.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"I Was a Drum Major for Justice, Peace, and Righteousness."

Gotta keep it short.

In other news, you might be interested in this contest: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/97245/

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps Portland in 1977.

Last place in the division in 1976. Second place in the division in 1977. Didn't even win 50 games. Lost first two games of Finals.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True and the salary cap is a major reason why. Teams can't stockpile depth like in the old days and depth matters more in football than any other sport.

I wouldn't go so far as to say HALF the teams are realistic Super Bowl contenders. I'd put it around 1/3 Super Bowl contenders and 2/3 playoff contenders. The trick is with a single-elimination playoff, it's far easier to pull an upset or two than it is if you have to win a best-of-7 series (see New York Giants, 2011). So it gets fans to believe, "Hey, we only have to go 9-7 to have a chance to make the playoffs and once we get in the playoffs, we just have to get hot or lucky." So, yes, it sells more tickets and better TV ratings that way.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When you're right, you're right... I even checked to see how many different teams made the Super Bowl as opposed to the World Series and those numbers even match...

I guess it's time to stop ranting about the Yankees dynasty when they've won once in the last decade. :D

I am curious how often worst to first happens in baseball. It seems to happen in most years in the NFL.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just don't tell oop. When we are watching a Pirates-A's World Series, he is going to have to admit that he was wr ... wr ...

Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted