1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Career Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Nearly a decade spent in the business and I had yet to experience a day like I had today.

First, I head to a game. Upon my arrival at the stadium, I walk past a concession stand. A man stops me to compliment me on the coverage I provide — on my winter beat! And then, he compliments my current blog and winter blog (I have one for each of my major beats). Proceeds to tell me he checks them every day, loves them, etc.

Then, I'm walking up to the media booth — you have to do so on the side of the grandstands. And another guy pulls me aside and said "I've been watching for you. I wanted to tell you in person how much I enjoyed your column Wednesday."

Then, as the game ends and I'm heading downstairs another says "Hey, the only person doing any work in your sports department is you. Keep it up. This team hasn't ever had this good of coverage."

So, in short, my columns, my gamers, my blogs, my features all got complimented in one day.

And, no word of a lie, I was working on my resume to leave this gig for something in SID/PR. I've since put a hold on completing that resume.

It's day like today I just sit back and say, "Fuck, people do read our stuff. People do respect what we have to say. And I love my job."

Here's to hoping we all have a day like I had today. It makes it all worthwhile.

So, feel free, post below and tell us similar stories because this board and business is filled with doom and gloom lately. So let's hear about the days that make you realize you don't want to do anything else.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

[​IMG]

Congratulations, buddy. That's tremendous news.

I wish I've ever had a day anywhere close to that.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

That's very nice. Enjoy the moment.

4. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

That's awesome.

Unfortunately, you're now due for a few years' worth of shit from readers in order to bring balance to the world.

Enjoy!

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It looks like Pete swung for the fences and connected (as I saw him do … at Triple-A New Orleans).

Good job. It's always a nice thing to be appreciated. Now if you can get your higher-ups at work to give you the same compliments, it will be time to retire...

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I still have people tell me they miss my writing on their teams, that the guy doing it now isn't "as good as you". ... People read the paper. What the cutoff age is where there's a huge decline (40? 35?) and shift to the Net, who knows.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Pete, congrats. Hard work does pay off.
    Unfortunately those are the people who won't be invited to "focus groups" to help "reinvent" your paper in an effort to "better connect" to the readers. And management will listen to the mouth breathers who bitch and moan about everything.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It is quite gratifying to receive a kind word or two from readers, especially with all the doom and gloom going on in the industry.

Showing appreciation is not difficult. But it is easier for people to complain about "the media."

I used to have a letter in my desk hand-written by a 93-year old woman I interviewed a long time ago. It was merely a thank you note, but had impact because she had taken the time to write her thoughts and mail it.

On the days when a complaint rolled in, when management ignored or bitched about something, when I had written something that probably deserved a thank you from the subject but never came, I would take a look at the letter and know some people do read and appreciate the newspaper.

She's dead now and I've lost the letter. So I'm back to square one.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've received one genuine thank-you letter in my years (I've received others, but smelled an agenda...) from a player who is now making a good living playing basketball in Spain. The letter remains pinned up on my desk's little bulletin board for the same reasons...I'll never forget the gesture.

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

It looks like Pete swung for the fences and connected (as I saw him do … at Triple-A New Orleans).

Good job. It's always a nice thing to be appreciated. Now if you can get your higher-ups at work to give you the same compliments, it will be time to retire...
    [/quote]

And sometimes that doesn't help either. At one of my stops, I had multiple notes from the publisher and editor commending my writing. And then they hired a consultant who reorganized the newsroom and shoved me onto the copy desk. "Hey, we love your writing ... now go become a night desk drone and STFU!"
    And sometimes that doesn't help either. At one of my stops, I had multiple notes from the publisher and editor commending my writing. And then they hired a consultant who reorganized the newsroom and shoved me onto the copy desk. "Hey, we love your writing ... now go become a night desk drone and STFU!"

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I'm the type who always remembers the complaining and never the compliments, so I really liked your post. Good for you and I hope you keep up the good work.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I love your stuff. I read it for free on the Internet every day! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted