1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A candidate for Hondo and friends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spnited, Jan 20, 2007.

1. My guess is you won't be there. And the canonization of a Franco sympathizer by a reactionary pope -- don't even start with old Pius Pacelli -- doesn't exactly have me worried about my soul.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When you do have that meeting, if I were you I'd be more worried about supporting the party that's for killing innocent, defenseless babies. I'm pretty sure that based on the teachings of the Catholic church, de facto support of abortion is a ticket for the down elevator. I don't suspect I'll be meeting any salad bar catholics in heaven.

3. Thank you, tony. It's good to know you feel that all Catholic Democrats are hell-bound. Jesus would be proud of your inclusiveness and toleration of others.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Judget not lest ye be judged, asshole.

And trust me, the GOP catholics aren't doing any better right now, at least based on what I hear the priests and deacons read at mass every weekend.

Then again, the right has managed to convince itself that abortion is the issue that matters most to the whole world. Followed closely of course by all them gays, well, except for the priestly ones.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is abortion even mentioned in the bible?

I think God cares a lot more about whether or not we're good people and take care of one another regardless of creed, color or class than how we feel on a particular political issue.

People who hate are the ones who'll spend the additional time in purgatory.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Even if the simplified Catholic version of "heaven" and "hell" really existed, no just God is sending someone on the down elevator for honestly philosophically believing that life begins at birth, not conception. A just God would understand that there are complexities that humans who he gave free will to grapple with.

Life's not a fucking obstacle course where you have to guess right on everything or else face eternal damnation. Some shit is simple, of course. Raping and murdering some person walking down the street? Pretty clear-cut. Abortion? State execution? Killing in war? Not so easy.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What the hell are you saying, SC? That the Supreme Being cares about whether you lived your life in a manner befitting the teachings in the Bible? What are you thinking?

That's way, waaaay too intelligent and insightful. That doesn't play well among Brownback's supporters. The same supporters, BTW, who are getting screwed economically on a daily basis by Brownback's big-business fellating policies in his state.

Read Thomas Frank's "What's the Matter with Kansas" for real insight into Brownback and his background. The good news coming out of this is that Brownback's candidacy has the same chance for success as Alan Keyes or Ralph Nader.

8. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Pringle - you need to go down to the neo-natal intensive care unit at your local hospital to pay a visit to the premature babies that are staying there. Perhaps you might see a premature baby that would have been a candidate for a late term abortion had it stayed in the womb.

Go spend some time with those babies. Watch how they squirm in pain when they get stuck with IV needles. Watch how they attempt to cry when they feel pain.

Go watch that and then tell me that abortion is right. Go watch that and then tell me that "life" begins only when a baby is born after 40 weeks gestation.

If you spend time with those preemies I promise you that your views on abortion will be changed forever.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I was a preemie. My view on abortion is not "changed forever" based on that. My view is based on a lot of other factors, but that's not one of them.

And I dunno who is saying that "life" begins at 40 weeks, and not 36 or 32, anyway. Your preemie argument makes no sense.

10. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

So if you were to go into a NICU and watch premature babies who were at the gestational age where late term abortions are conducted, your opinions on abortion wouldn't change?

People talk about life beginning at birth (usually 40 weeks gestation). My argument is that life begins way before that, as evidenced by the premature babies in a NICU.

Are you telling me that after watching a preemie baby that you would support aborting another baby at the same gestational age?

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

So Tony, I believe whole heartedly that abortion is murder. So I guess I get to ride the Easy Pass lane through the Gates?

Oh wait. Despite that belief I also believe that homosexuals should be afforded the same rights as heterosexuals - including marriage if that's what they want. And oh, I believe that women should be allowed to become priests, and those priests, either man or woman should be allowed to marry. And oh wait, I actually believe that Pope John Paul II, despite all the good things he did for the world was in on the coverups in the churches sex-abuse scandal making him just as evil as those disgusting individuals priests and non-priests who commit those crimes against humanity.

But I guess because I believe that abortion is wrong and should be prevented by law or at least go back to a State's Rights ruling, that all my other views, which in the eyes of the Catholic Church make me a sinner for believing, will be forgotten?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, I'm telling you it's not that simple. And it's not that simplistic, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted