1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Calamity in YankeeFan's World?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Is this as big a deal as it sounds, YF?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-recall-tassimo-coffeetre8181el-20120209,0,4728938.story

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's pretty fucked up. Glad I recommended the Keurig instead of the Tassimo.

Doesn't really effect me, as I don't deal in consumer machines.

But, I've been sprayed in the face with hot coffee. On the superautomatic espresso machines I work on, the quantity of coffee and the coarseness/fineness of the coffee has to be just right for the chamber to seal, and allow the espresso to be extracted.

There's been a couple of times when I've had the top off of the machine, ran a test shot, and taken a face full.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Oh, the possibilities.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Was about to post the same thing.

There is an awesome level of innuendo in YF's post.

But yeah, I imagine being facialed with hot, creamy foam isn't fun.

5. YankeeFan

Yeah, rereading that, it's pretty funny.

But, it wasn't foam, just espresso!

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Do you wear safety goggles? If not, it sounds like you should be.

Nothing will fuck up your day faster than scalded corneas.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think that makes it much, much worse

8. YankeeFan

I've shocked myself a couple of times. That's always fun. (I used to say I had electrocuted myself, but then I learned that to be electrocuted means you're dead.) That's always fun. I now have tremendous respect for electricity.

The worst thing I ever did was one time when I was explaining the machine to someone. I told him how it had two boilers, one for coffee, and one for steam. When I mentioned the steam boiler, I said, "and one here for steam," while slapping the side of the machine with my left hand.

The problem was, I had forgotten that I had already taken off the side panel, so I slapped the stem boiler, which is at 276 degrees. Holy crap did that hurt.

I hadn't been doing this very long at the time. haven't repeated that mistake.

I have one little scar on my left hand too. Again, when I was new at this, I was in a coffee shop outside of Orlando.

I couldn't crack one fitting. Put a bunch of pressure on it. It turned, but my hand went flying into a sharp stainless edge. Probably should have gotten stitches.

And, of course, their was a hot Asian girl working the counter. Hard to look cool when you're fumbling around, and then in pain and bleeding.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yeah, I've been there. It seems like every mistake I make, there's some hot Asian girl right there to see me fuck up.

Draft saved Draft deleted