1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A busted ball...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Left the bank after a stop at the ATM and all of a sudden, by chariot veers across the the double yellow. And, lo and behold, what's on the way in the other lane? A semi, of course!

With my life flashing in front of my eyes, I stomped on the gas pedal and barely avoided the onrushing semi.

The guy eventually stops and walks back. He thought I was either drunk or had a heart attack to veer across the road like that. Hell, I figured the same thing.

Then we both looked at my front driver's side tire -- the top was facing in, at about 3 o'clock. The bottom was at 9 o'clock.

Had it towed to my local mechanic. $225 for parts, just less than two hours of labor, though I guess it's pretty laborious to extract the tire, more so than installing the new parts. These guys have been great to me through the years, so I'm confident (OK, hopeful) they didn't stick it to me.

Thanks for the well wishes, gang.

Considering what almost happened, almost 400 bucks well spent, me thinks.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

That sounds awful, and $400 on a car repair is not fun. However, if the part is $225, that sounds like they didn't soak you for labor costs.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Gold: They recommended when one side goes, to replace the other, too, but I begged off... for now.

I really can't complain. It's a Blazer and it's been very reliable. Not owning a garage, the remote starter is an absolute godsend when the white stuff starts flying in these parts... usually, mid to late October.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Of course your remote starter doesn't own a garage.

Anyhoo, that happened to me, too. About the same cost.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Dools: Touche.

Glad you managed to survive the experience, too.

6. dooley_womack1

Right front tire folded on a residential street. No traffic, so it was cool.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Dools: Didn't it shock the hell out of you, though? Sure did with me.

8. dooley_womack1

I didn't even know such a mishap was possible.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Nor did I.

Draft saved Draft deleted