1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bunch of guys: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bobby Wallace says you're full of shit!

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK, I actually went through and looked at Buster Olney's column. Ichiro Suzuki's omission is glaring. I think there's at least a 50 percent chance Adam Dunn reaches 500 home runs and a good shot he gets 550, but he's not even listed with Jimmy Rollins or Torii Hunter. I can't believe Olney thinks Omar Vizquel is a lock. And I think Adrian Beltre has a better shot than Scott Rolen, who would be in if he hadn't been plagued by injuries for much of his career.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ichiro makes it in before bonds.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah.

I'm guessing the next column will be about Ichiro.

I never thought of Rolen as HOF. If he is in, then grab Mussina as well.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We've had a Rolen thread here. He got a surprising amount of support. I was bracing for the backlash and it never came.

He must have just spaced it on Ichiro.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

odd. i'd vote for garvey before i'd go with rolen.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

1) Ichiro belongs in
    2) In terms of actual value he brought to his teams, he's pretty comparable to a lot of guys who would make many fans cry "He was only pretty good!"

9. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I realize he was a heck of a center fielder and that it's hard to adequately quantify defense, and he has had a very good career, but Torii Hunter is not even arguably a Hall of Famer, or even close to it.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's a tight call, but I suspect Rolen's work in the field, with 8 gold glove awards, might give him the nod there. I think Rolen's got to be one of the all time underrated players, most folks have no clue just how good his career has been. Dude hit over 300 HRs while also being the game's best defensive 3rd baseman throughout his career, mighty impressive.

And Olney must have simply blanked out by failing to mention Ichiro (still a rather inexcusable error). Ichiro's an automatic no brainer.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Not a terrible list. I am not sold Vizquel will make it. I also think Konerko isn't that close and CC is a lot closer. Hunter and Rollins have 0% chance.

Unless, Beltre, has a huge and fast decline, he will be a 400+ HR guy with many gold gloves, All Star appearances, and probably more postseason recognition if he stays with Texas. Had a monster 2004, which would have netted him the MVP w/o Bonds. His sabermetric stats are very favorable too, and 15 years from now, I think newer metrics will be used much more by the voters in HOF voting than they are now.

I just don't see a 400 HR 3B with an outstanding defensive reputaion not getting in.

Also, Berkman and Holliday have better shots than several of the guys they listed.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Vizquel is a lock?

I could see him getting in, but lock seems a bit optimistic.

Draft saved Draft deleted