1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A brief rant about my sheer stupidity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Don't forget that most checks are electronically processed now anyway. You can live in New York and use the Bank of New York, and while visiting San Francisco, write a check to someone who uses whatever big bank is out there. If they deposit that check Monday morning, the money could very well be out of your account that afternoon. That gap you used to be able to count on isn't there anymore. The day someone receives a check could be the day the money is gone.

Also, your car won't be repossessed the first day one payment is late. I made a million mistakes with my first brand new car, and it wasn't until I was 30 days late when I even got a phone call.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The bagger has nearly 1,700 posts on this board. So regardless of his age, he's pretty aware that the huddled masses are pretty hard on people here, for far less mindless transgressions than his.
    He should have found someone else to vent to, if all he wanted was sympathy. A pal, the TV set, an e-mail to himself. Whatever. Anything would have been a better choice. ;D

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I just skimmed the rest of the thread, and I wanted to add this: Banks friggen suck.

It's stupid to write a check for over and expect postdating it to work, but I'm not at all suprised that the bank didn't look at the date. I've never done that exactly, but I swear, it seems like banks are always pieces of crap so they can tack on a $30 fee.

My worst examples: I had like $4 in my account, so I went to Sonic and got a burger that was $3.50, very aware of my balance. The a-holes double charged me, sent me over and the bank charged me $30. I went in, raised hell and the bank fixed it, gave my money back. Then a couple months later I dropped a check in the ATM to deposit and went on my way, not spending any of my money until the next day. (I dropped it in on like a Tuesday night or something). Well, apparently all of my charges from the next day, Wednesday, magically got to my account before twiddle--dee-dip-fuck banker could open the ATM and add my check, so I went way over like 5 times, 5 x 30 = 150. I went in to raise hell again and they told me to go away because they had already refunded an overdraft once, for the double charge at Sonic.

So even though Sonic dicked me over the first time, it really dicked me over in the long run.

Unless you have major friggen money, which few young guys have in this biz, the bank could give a fuck less whether you got dicked out of $30, or $130. What are you going to do? Take your checking account that typically tops out at $250 elsewhere?

Assholes.

Also, I've been charged overdraft for being exactly .01 over. Yeah, yeah, I know -- Don't go over. I know I know I know. It pisses me off, though.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Worst bank charge I ever incurred ... $15 for mistaken addition on a large deposit. I was off by 10 cents. I deposited via the ATM.

Now this is a bank that credits your ATM deposit instantly, so I understand why they do that (otherwise people could deposit "$10,000" in an empty envelope on Friday and work up their debit card over the weekend), but still, $15 for a dime seemed pretty steep.

(One phone call took care of it, by the way. I got my money back. And an explanation.)

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

At my bank I have to wait a day or two for all the funds I deposited to be available. Today I went and deposited my work check and, at the time, I had $67 on my available balance. But by midnight tonight I should have all $300 (what's remaining after bills come out) in my account.

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Ahhhhh .... I remember when I was 21 and in school and eating lots of Ramen and always lingering around $0.00 in my account, +/- $100 or so .....

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

another thing that banks do:

clear debits before credits, and largest to smallest. That way that $1.50 ATM charge can be tacked on for the $29 NSF charge, along with a 5.00 and and a 9.00.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Kind of repeating: Electronic banking, which many places give you for free, is the way to avoid this. You can date the payment whenever you want.

I'll bet banks don't even look at the date on paper checks anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted