1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A brief rant about my sheer stupidity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 30, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Re: A brief rant about banks

Also Grocery, be careful about stop payment requests because most banks charge a $20 or $25 fee. If you don't have the money in the account to cover the fee, let alone the check, you're still going to take a hit.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The trip I took was just an hour's drive back to my hometown for my birthday. When I left I had 13 bucks in my account and put 11 of that in gas.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I would've done that, but I didn't know I was overdrafted until after I made the deposit. My folks don't have internet access back home (at least for awhile), so I couldn't check on it until I got back to Lexington.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My online banking through Citibank allows me to set up future payments. You might want to see if you can do that with your bank.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

Other than the monthly rent cheque I don't think I've written more than two cheques in the last three years.

We do all our banking online. Payments, transfers, everything.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Man, look here, every single person here can call this young grocery baggin' dude a complete and utter moron, but the fact is, not a soul here hasn't done something similar to the shit he did. And not a soul here didn't respond the exact same way at first. It's a lot of fun to sit here on an anonymous message board and pretend you've lived a mistake-free life and never blamed anyone else for the trouble you created just so you can kick someone around, but we all know better.

For God's sakes, we're in sports journalism here. Not a damn one of us had money at 21. Hell, quite a few have no money at 31.

I'll give you some tips, bagger.

First, if you're gonna be floating checks, you gotta accept the fact that you'll be burned on occasion. Shit happens.

Second, you've gotta figure out, for the larger payments, such as car payments and rent and the like, how long it takes for these places to cash your check once they receive it, and never give yourself less than that to get the money in the bank.

Third, look into overdraft protection. It's like a $500 gift from the bank. They'll charge you interest on it if you use it, but it'll likely save your ass. Also, if this is a somewhat local, hometown bank you're using, stop by, explain your situation and your screwup and they might -- MIGHT -- be kind enough to remove the charge. Larger banks, forget it, it ain't happening.

And follow all of these other tips here. Online banking, phone payments, etc.

Anyway, man, good luck. I was there myself not so many years ago. Having no money sucks ass, because when you have none, that's always the time you need it the most.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Bagger,

If you have any relatiosnhip with the bank, like the person who helped you set up your accounts, a phone call may bve able to reverse the overdraft charge. one of the benefits of a local bank (or local branch) is that you can actually talk to real people face to face. One day it may help you swing a home loan you were marginally qualified for, or lessen the interest rate on a car loan. Developing relationshjips in the business world is no different than in the journalist world. One day, the bak may need some help from you.

On the other hand, if they don't reverse the charge, look for another bank or credit union that will work with you now, in exchange for your business when you're publisher of the local newspaper.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect that a post-dated check would slow anybody down from getting it cashed.

I once indavertently switched the cable check and the car payment.  Both got cashed.  The cable company sent me the next bill showing a $300 credit and the bank called looking for the rest of the car payment.

They didn't even look at who it was made out to.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To everyone who called Bagger an idiot or moron, just remember the guy is trying to vent. He makes no bones about the fact that, yeah, he didn't have the money to cover the check. Let him be pissed at the bank -- and by extension himself -- and let it go at that. Show a little f-ing sympathy.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope. They open the envelope, put the check and the bill in the document feeder/reader/computer and let it rip.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In those cases, though, I believe you can go after the bank to straighten it out since they shouldn't be honoring them.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think so, too. But you'll probably still be on the hook for late fees and/or overdraft since the error was yours to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted