1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A brief rant about my sheer stupidity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 30, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: A brief rant about banks

21 is three years into being an adult, sportschick. In your world, at what age do you join the grown-ups table?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

English,

Seriously, if you can do internet banking, that's a good way to go. I like the control of taking the money out my own damnself, but I can go on and do that whenever. Even from out of town.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

If I knew you were going to be an asshole about this, I never would have posted. I used to respect you, poin.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And you still should. "dexter is providing you with tough love which it sounds like you need. sportscheck wants to coddle you.

At 21 its time to take full responsibility. Being only 21 is no excuse.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bagger,

I've been where you are. Done what you did. And paid the price. I've lived check to check and week to week. Times have been so tough I'd make weekly trips to the plasma donation center to get $15 just so I could buy a day or two's worth of groceries for my wife and kid while waiting for the next paycheck.

The bank didn't screw you over. You wrote a check you couldn't cash. You screwed you.

Learn this life lesson now and you're in good shape. The overdraft fee is a small price to pay if you figure it out now and don't let it happen again.

Good luck.

P.S. Poindexter was pretty hard on you. He was also right.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just be thankful that your mouth didn't write a check that your body couldn't cash.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Exactly how many out of town trips do you take with $1.84 to your name?

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It's not the banks. It's you.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Bwahahahahaha!

Seriously though, I fucked up. Plain and simple. This is the first AND last time it will happen. I've been overdrafted before, but the bank told me it was "suspicious" activity, so they put the money back. I still don't know what was suspicious that time...

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That was going to be my suggestion. Most banks, even the Bank of Ethel (as featured in Dilbert), has electronic payments that you can do over the phone or on the Web site. It's definitely worth investigating.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I've never respected Poindexter ... but I do agree with him that you are an idiot, Bagger.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You are lucky the bank paid the check. Sounds like they paid it and just attached an overdraft charge. It could have been not paid and the check returned for insufficient funds.

Next time, call whoever you are writing the check to and ask them if they have any way to do the payment by phone. Quite often they will set up a payment by phone and date it for whatever day you want.

I have an electric bill due 7/5 that is way behind and no way I can pay the whole thing. But I talked to the company yesterday. They set me up on a payment plan. The first payment is $227. I told them I would like to do that, but I couldn't pay til 7/7 cuz that's when I get paid. So the guy set it up that way. Then he asked if I actually got the money in the bank that day, and I said I get direct deposit and it's always credited to my account when I get up Friday morning. He then dated the payment for 7/10 just to be sure. So it was 6/29, my account is taken care of, my electric won't be shut off on 7/5, but I'm not actually giving them the cash til 7/10. Works for me.

If you're low on cash and the $205 won't bring your account out of the negative, you should hold onto it until you get enough to put in the account. You can probably carry a negative balance for a few days before they start attaching a daily fee to it. If you can get enough cash in to cover it, do that, and just consider the car payment as an extra $30 this month, or whatever the fee was.

Draft saved Draft deleted