1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bowl game in late December in NYC? Sure!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hell, as far as weather goes, I'm reminded that my Cincy Bearcats played in the 1950 Sun Bowl... in a snowstorm. So, whatev. Fans will go. Maybe not a huge amount of fans will travel from USF, Loserville and Cincy, but the point made before about having arguably the largest pool of in-town alums of any city in the U.S. except their hometowns makes me think they'll sell tickets.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's the other -- I don't think $229 will get you into that old shit hole across the street from Madison Square Garden at Christmas time and especially the week between christmas and new years.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Being an hour away from NYC, I'd go watch the game just to enjoy high-end college football (relatively speaking with the 4-v-7 matchup).

4. ItsMighty

ItsMighty New Member

This will work. Seriously. Would you rather go to New York or Birmingham in mid-to-late December?

Just hope the field isn't configured like it is in San Fran with the Emerald Bowl and both teams aren't on the same side of the field.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's what I'm curious about. I don't think football in a built-for-baseball stadium is that compelling, nor do I think UConn-Texas Tech at the new Yankee Stadium is reminiscent of Army-Notre Dame in the old days, no matter how they spin it.

I don't think anyone's arguing NYC vs. Birmingham or Boise or any of the other mediocre bowl spots. The question is how much $$ you really want to spend to see your team in another meaningless bowl game, especially if you shelled out money for your team's other meaningless bowl games in recent years.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm guessing the sightlines are going to be awful.
    Saw one pic of Hal Steinbrenner with a diagram behind him showing field laid out from home plate to centerfield...meaning no seat even remotely close to the sidelines.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Pitt? A few. West Virginia? Absolutely.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It is. But weather in Dallas on New Year's Day is a crapshoot. I went to one Cotton Bowl in shorts a few years ago.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For the all the knocks on the New Year's Day weather in Dallas they didn't have bad weather for the last decade of games at Fair Park.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pitt has enough alumni on the I-95 corridor (Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, etc.) that it could theorhetically could have 5-6,000 show up that aren't from the 412 area code. They had 5,000 travel to a meaninglesss regular season game at Navy last year. Personally, I have a couple of friends in NYC that have been asking me to come up for a while, as does my USF alum girlfriend. I have no problem attending this one if it comes up...and knowing Pitt, it's a guarantee.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been to a few Emerald Bowls in SF. You usually can get two tickets for the price of one from a scalper. There are plenty of good nightspots in the area - perhaps the best game I saw was seeing Navy beat New Mexico - I sat high in the second deck - had a great view of the bay, the midshipmen marching in - and Navy running the ball down the throats of the Lobos.
    The point is - outside of the BCS games - you really don't care about the outcome - you're looking for a good time.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I agree with this -- I've been to a couple of Texas Bowls with my kid. To everyone else it's a shit bowl, but we enjoyed ourselves greatly, so what's not to like? No one's forcing anyone to watch it on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted