1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bowl game in late December in NYC? Sure!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Another bowl game, I don't care where it's played and who the teams are, simply is a bad idea. Someone made the point many posts ago; let's axe 10 bowl games and everything will be just fine.

I can't wait to see how many fans of the Big 12 team that plays in this thing clamor for bowl packages when the hotel room is $229 a night. Good luck with that.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Weren't people busy watching boxing in 1962?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think anything is a good idea. Ever. And I don't think we need anymore meaningless bowl games. ... but this is actually a pretty good idea.

New York is big enough that you will find a niche crowd of locals who will buy some of the tickets. Hell, the Red Bulls manage to get 11,000 or 12,000 a game for meaningless soccer games in New Jersey (I realize it is because of the Hispanic population, but it shows that any niche can can be filled around NY).

And then you factor in two mediocre BCS teams that will have followings, but those followings aren't going to be amped up to travel to a Bumfuck Bowl game, because their teams had mediocre years. ... but now they get a NYC trip out of the deal, turning it into something cooler than the Dinty Moore Beef Stew Bowl in Nowheresville, USA.

I actually like this one. At least for a couple of years; maybe after that the novelty wears off. But I think it is going to be successful.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't mean they'll cancel the International Bowl :)

Great idea --this from someone who doesn't care one damn bit about US college football.

Oh, and for those of you complaining about sub-freezing temperature--it's NYC. There's just as good a chance it'll be in the high 40's as 25.

And football is a cold weather sport. Ask anyone from Saskatchewan.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And Nebraska had just been invited to the game 11 days before, because organizers couldn't come up with an opponent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Bowl

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, I have been to two of the three International Bowls! (And would have made it in 2008 if I didn't have to work.) I think it's something that is slowly gaining steam in Toronto. The teams that have come have brought plenty of fans and it's not overpriced, ticket wise. And it's indoors!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gotta love Wiki

1960 Oregon State was invited to play, but no opponent was found.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, here is the issue -

Do you think fans of Big East teams other than UConn, Syracuse and Rutgers are going to want to pay for a trip to New York City a few months before the Big East Tournament for a shitty bowl game in the cold? I mean, if they are going to blow their wad of cash on a trip to NYC the Big East tourney blows away any shit bowl game - and even almost every good bowl game.

And I can't imagine USF fans excited to go North in December. Ditto Louisville fans and fans of Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M even Oklahoma.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

What makes you think you can find a hotel that cheap on New Year's weekend in NYC?

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Zag,

Pitt and West Virginia will show up.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, sunbathing is a cold weather sport in Saskatchewan.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Cotton Bowl in Dallas can get pretty damn cold (ask Joe Montana, of course, but other years as well).

I think it's going to Jerry's House from now on, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted