1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bowl game in late December in NYC? Sure!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

BYM has another good point, tho. Of the candidates to finish 4th in the Big East, a few of those folks close to NYC look awfully good to be making that trip. Proximity, the innate NY fan base, the possibility of being at Times Square on Jan. 1 on the bowl trip. I think I may have been turned on this one.

Though freezing or not: It'll be damned cold. But, hell. Boise was supposed to be in 1997 when the Bearcats played in the Humanitarian Bowl. FLocks of Cincy fans still went.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Cool idea.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What would the matchup have been last year?

EDIT: Kansas-Rutgers, right? Best I can figure it... there were three teams at 5-2 in the B.E.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Given that the invite goes to the Big 12's 7th placed team, I'd say you've got a good shot every year.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A lot of years I'd hope for better than that, but next year KU will have to replace Reesing, Meier, Sharp and probably Briscoe on offense. I'd take the 7th-place bowl in a rebuilding year.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, replacing a guy like Reesing would be tough to do.

http://www.mizzourahblog.com/2009-articles/july/todd-reesing-loves-bagged-wine-men-grabbing-his-chest.html

(come on, it had to be done)

7. John

John Well-Known Member

My reason for skepticism is that nobody local, other than a few thousand alums, is going to give a shit. New York, as I perceive it at least, is a pro sports city. I just don't see them ever drawing more than 25,000 to the game — and maybe that's enough to make it worthwhile.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think some regular-season games at Yankee Stadium would go over much better. It would be a nice callback to the days when the old stadium hosted big events like Notre Dame-Army and prize fights.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They could force one of the teams to dress up like the Yankees and the other like the Red Sox. It would also guarantee serious coverage on ESPN.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

And isn't there a decent fight scheduled for Yankee Stadium in the next few months? I think that's exactly what they're trying to do -- make the Stadium a place where all sorts of big events take place

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They're working on it. :)

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090722&content_id=5997088&vkey=pr_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First, let me say that a 35th bowl is the height of ridiculousness. That means that 70 out of 120 or so teams will go to a bowl. It seems like college football is becoming more and more like boxing every day. Have a bunch of so-called champions, and have the big winner be handpicked by the promoters.

Having said that, a Yankee Stadium bowl game could work. But you need to have a better seed for both conferences. There's no reason why a better Big East team should go to the Meineke Bowl instead of the Yankee Bowl.

Same with the Big 12. It needs to be a higher seed. I can see New York fans being excited about seeing Texas or Nebraska or Oklahoma. But I don't see them caring if Baylor or Iowa State somehow make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted