1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A - Bombs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 16, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

that useless piece of shit A-Rod just hit a 2-run HR, dead center, to break 2-2 tie. But since it's only the fifth ining, I guess it doesn't count ::)

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yanks are taking batting practice off of one of Moddy's boys: ARod's two run bomb, a bases-empty home run by Posada and Cano doubled.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Slam by Damon, 7-run inning, so obviously A-Rod's HR means even less now that the game is a blow out. ::)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, excuse me? Who had last turn at batting practice?

Great game to watch, stadium was about full and probably more than half Yankee fans. They shut up with their chants and shit 'round about the seventh inning.

Guy sitting next to me said he was from Nashville, was doing an all 30 stadiums thing. Said he'd seen the Yanks several times and he calmed me down during the ugly fifth by saying if the Nats got into the Yanks bullpen, they'd be OK. Sure enough. Torre just kept running these guys in there and the Nats kept teeing off. He brought in Rivera with five outs to go and the Yankee faithful did some weird chant. He got lit up, too.

ARod and Damon CRUSHED their home runs. Crushed them. Daryle Ward then hit one about as far as the combined distance of theirs. Of course, theirs were worth six runs, Ward's one.

Still, I made the long drive home a happy man.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The most interesting part of this thread is the fact that Yankee hater spinited is defending A- bomb.

Michael I think you have spent too much time looking for sloe eyed sabra's in the stands instead of watching what A - Rod has done.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

First person to do ad hominem in an argument is confessing he lost, Boom.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If only he were a chunky, one dimensional player with a weird beard design, a Carribean accent aqnd a cute nick name ::)

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

OK, since you seem to know all the stats, how about breaking them down by month.

I watched this team for all three years get buried in April and May in large part because A-Rod failed time and again to drive in runners. June through September, look out, because he would tear the cover off the ball. But that was OK because the Rangers were 20+ games out at that point (they finished 46 behind the M's in 2002.)

I stand by my statement. And bring a little more to the table before calling me out, Sea Bag.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If only our best player was perfect! Then our team wouldn't lose. It is amazing to me that so many people in this business fall for this ancient chestnut.
    Once and for all, teams don't lose because their best player didn't do better. They lose because none of them did better, and in general, the cure for this is to find MORE players as or almost as good as the star, NOT replacing him.
    Those who believe otherwise are the sports equivalent of creationists. They're ignoring evidence in favor of blind faith that makes them feel good.
    That's their right. But I can't and won't take their commentary seriously.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah. Then he'd be clutch, and the rightful winner of the 2005 AL MVP.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just trying to keep it light and breezy Michael. It would be boring if we just stuck to intlectual arguments. ;)

12. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

2001:
    April, .312, 7 HR, 21 RBI
    May: .321, 10 HR, 28 RBI TOTAL: 17 HR, 49 RBI

2002:
    April: .306, 9 HR, 28 RBI
    May: .320, 8 HR, 24 RBI TOTAL: 17 HR, 52 RBI

2003:
    April: .363, 8 HR 22 RBI
    May: .231, 6 HR, 13 RBI TOTAL: 14 HR, 37 RBI

One bad month out of six. You can stand by your "statement." I'll stick to the facts.
    It's been nice handing you your ass. Play again soon, junior.

Draft saved Draft deleted