1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A - Bombs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 16, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't disagree with any of your projections, Lou.
    I'm just saying it is impossible to say Wright, after 1 full season+ compares to what A-Rod has accomplished in the past 11 years.

2. I think we are talking past each other.

I'm not trying to compare what A-Rod has accomplished these past 11 years. I'm saying "right now" I think Wright is the better player.

The Red Sox sure could use my boy Pedro right about now. Not giving him that 4th year was plain stupid.

3. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Do some research before you run your mouth. Rodriguez stats with RISP while with Texas:

2001: .307, 15 HR, 82 RBI
    2002: .366, 17 HR, 87 RBI
    2003: .276, 8 HR, 63 RBI

I'm sure next you'll tell me that none of them were actually big hits because they were a last place team. Yeah, yeah, I know.

Everyone's right, his .304 career BA with RISP (only .002 less than his career average) means nothing.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Cran's right about ARod. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy for him and Yankee fans and Yankee media. Every time he comes up in an important situation, there's a feeling--right or wrong--that he's not going to come through. And when he doesn't come through, there's a collective "Told ya!" coming from the crowd and media.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One last futile try to use facts in an argument about the Yankees, which is really a discussion of religion, not baseball.
          A-Rod's homer after next will be his 100th as a Yankee in (one assumes) less than 2 1/2 seasons. Some of them must've helped win games.
          2. A very quick click over to baseballreference.com reveals that A-Rod's career post-season OPS is .927, which ain't gagging. Both his playoff OBP and slugging percentates are higher than his regular season numbers.
          Let me make my next point in as insulting a fashion as possible. There's a certain subset of Yankee haters whose worldview is so skewed they spend a lot of their time attempting to cast whomever the Yanks' best player may be as an overrated bum. They need to sit in the bleachers with Dr. Freud for a few games.
          There is a certain subsection of Yankee fans who cannot and will never get over the humiliation of the 2004 ALCS, the all-time choke of baseball history. A-Rod was the new Yank superstar of 2004. Therefore, it had to be his fault, and anytime the Yanks lose, it has to be his fault. He'll never be a "true Yankee."
          To these delusionals, let me say this. On behalf of Phillies fans everywhere, we're off the fuckin' hook for '64, so thank you. On behalf of all baseball fans, ha, ha, ha.
          Get a grip, you spoiled babies. Historic triumphs and disasters are both total team efforts. Every single Yank had to contribute to the 4-game debacle, and they did, whatever your opinion of them may be. Let's not forget that the Red Sox comeback began with a ninth-inning rally off Mariano Rivera. In terms of true Yankeedom, Mo's probably on the same level as Lou Gehrig. He's gonna be out in the monuments.
         TEAMS CHOKE MORE OFTEN THAN INDIVIDUALS   EXCUSE ALL CAPS COMPUTER GLITCH

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dooles, did I say "every damn time"? No. I brought up Wednesday's game as an example. Personally, I think he probably gets an unfair rap from the media and fans. If Rodriguez fails, it's grounds for a 20-inch rip job. If another Yankee (Rivera, Captain Jeter, Matsui, Sheffield, Posada, etc...etc...) fails, it's okay because "they are gamers."

Also, I didn't realize that I couldn't post on an ARod thread because I'm a Mets fan. Thanks for clearing that up, pal.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying you're allowed to root for your team, too. I know the novelty factor of it may be hard to get used to. There are enough other people who will step in the breach on the Yanks issue.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's not hard for me to root for the Mets. Thanks for letting me know that I can't chime in on a Yankee-related thread.

9. dooley_womack1

I'm all about the help.

10. dooley_womack1

11. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Michael, I agree with most of what you said in this post, but I think there is another element to the A-Rod bashing. I think he often shows weakness in failure, and people feed off of that. When Jeter strikes out, he looks back at the pitcher smugly with the sort of look that says it was luck and he's going to own the next confrontation. Sheffield sneers and prays for a chance at revenge. Even Giambi, when he was going through the whole pituitary gland slump, acted as though he was still a batter to be feared.
    But when A-Rod fails, he looks like a child who just discovered there's no Santa. His world is thrown into a tailspin. He shows frustration. He doesn't engender the feeling or illusion that it was just a momentary lapse. For such an extraordinary talent, he is also extraordinarly fragile, and adding the New York fans and media into the equation, that's a combustible mix.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've heard that about you! :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted