1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A - Bombs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 16, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Boom brings up a good point, vis a vis yesterday's loss to the Indians. The Yanks were down 6-1 in the seventh when Rodriguez hit a bases-empty homer. Later in the inning, Williams hits a bases-empty home run and the Indians' lead is cut in half. Yes, Rodriguez defenders, it was an important home run.

But it wasn't as important as his inability to come through in eighth. Miguel Cairo on second and Miguel Cabrera on third, one out. If you're the supposed best player in the game, the highest paid player in the game, isn't it your responsibility to get the runs home?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly my point HB but you have made it much better. Those are the moments where the team leaders have to come through. A- rod never seems to when given that type of opportunity.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not every damn time, it isn't, H_Beat. A star in this game will do so 3 out of 10 times. A-Rod's clip is better than that, I bet, but his 6-7 times not doing it get magnified through the roof. Paycheck has nothing to do with it, that's an economic figure. There's nothing that says he should be 25% more productive than Manny Ramirez, just because he makes 25 million to Manny's 20 million.

And your team's doing pretty well. When will you root for them and not obsess about the Yankees.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

1. A-Rod batting fifth in the order isn't necessarily a sign that Torre doesn't think that much of him. Jeter, Giambi and A-Rod are your 3,4,5 hitters. Jeter's hitting .330, so he's earned the 3 spot. Torre probably wants to go right, left, right, so he puts Giambi between Jeter and A-Rod, which leaves the five hole for A-Rod.

2. Quite possibly, yes.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Boomer, you are right on.

A-Rod sucks. He is NOT a true Yankee.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Go back to the part of that inning before A-Rod struck out Thursday night.
    Bases-loaded, Giambi hits a weak grounder to first. First baseman bobbles the ball. Still has time to throw to second to get Jeter, but the shortstop drops the ball. Jeter, however, doesn't slide, overruns the base and gets tagged out.
    How come nobody is criticizing the steroid-feuled cheating bastard Giambi for not getting a hit or Captain Perfect for his part in fucking up the inning?

And what happened tonight in the 8th before A-Rod struck out with the bases loaded. Oh, yeah, Juicin' Giam-Balco popped out.. but he gets a free pass?
    It's all A-Rod's fault.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not for nothing but that might have been my favorite play of the year thus far. You know if Jeter makes that play on defense it gets the boobs in the broadcast booth masturabting over what a great player he is and how nothing ever escapes his eye and how he plays every play to the very end etc etc etc commence projectile vomiting.

As for AFraud, I wonder what Moddy thinks of his clutch hitting tonight!!! :D Wife and I are listening to the game, he whiffs and she goes "God how I hate AFraud."

Biggest choke artist in the game. I love the defense "oh but look how he did against the Twins and Red Sox in the first seven games of the 2004 postseason! If the Yankees had closed out the Sox he would be known as a true Yankee!"

Guess what? They didn't. And over the final 3 1/2 games of the 2004 ALCS, the highest paid athlete in the history of mankind had as many hits as gloveslaps.

David Ortiz: The real MVP in 2005.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Getting a first hand look at those Yanks today. I will report back later.

Glad I was not there last night to see yet another bullpen implosion.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Another thing I neglected to mention is that A-Rod is a horrible "clubhouse guy."

He was one and only responsible for snuffing out the "kangaroo court" that the 2001-03 Rangers (and every other clubhouse since, like, 1876) have had. Totally humorless SOB. Once A-Rod's ass was outta there, guys like Mench and De Rosa brought it back and the team is much looser now.

(Dellucci too, but he got traded and that that is the one "Awshit" out of quite a few "Attaboys" on Jon Daniels' watch.)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A-Rod has retired the Yankees' Horace Clark Loo-Sar Award until he displays consistent late-inning batting poise in tight games
    against meaningful opposition.

Until then . . . golf's great in late October, ain't it?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

, , , not to mention that EVERY team A-Runt's left has perked up immediately, in his wake . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted