1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A board favorite gets ripped by the ombudsman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

How come? They're gonna lose him eventually, like when he dies.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

But will he die before his paper does?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not disagreeing. SH deserved to be censured.

My point was, it seems as if in the "public editor" situations I've seen, the ombudsman always sides with the complainer. And sometimes, as we know, the customer is not right.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

True. But usually they don't write about the complainers who don't have a clue. It would kind of defeat the purpose if every week the ombud would write, "All you assholes were wrong. Not one of you made lucid, intelligent point. All you did was whine, whine, whine. You can all go straight to hell. Stop bothering me!"

I have seen some try to explain why the paper did what it did in a very tactful defense, but if they didn't occasionally throw a staffer under the bus, nobody'd read the thing.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Frank, the approach outlined in your last post might be the only way to GET people to read the ombudsman. I know I would.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But he'll never die.. he'll live forever to be a Nordic C. Montgomery Burns...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the number. Sid, you need to round up at least your first 100!

8. Never heard of this guy. Sounds like he needs to be taken down a notch ... it's like the Kirby Puckett of Minnesota journalism.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never heard of SID? Dear jesus, search this board...
    The man has spent his life being a walking conflict of interest

10. donaugust

donaugust Member

Make that another hundred.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sid's a "special case", all right.

Oh, IS he . . .

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This from the Reader rep's blog... Sid needs some of his close personal friends to tie the score....

My Sunday column on the conflict of interest caused by sports columnist Sid Hartman doing a commercial for Sun Country Airlines caused the biggest reaction in the post-weekend avalanche of reader response that comes in every Monday. By day’s end, 130 readers had expressed their opinions via e-mail or phone calls to me. Of those, 111 strongly felt Hartman should not have done the commercial, and that widely accepted journalistic standards and ethics were important and should apply to all staff members equally. Twelve of the readers defended Hartman’s decision to do the commercial or thought it was not a particularly serious issue. Seven readers said they thought the ombudsman should have written about what they perceive as left-wing bias in the news coverage, rather than an issue they characterized as insignificant.

Although I said in the column Sunday that this really isn’t a popular referendum on whether Hartman was right or wrong, I was encouraged to see so many readers take the time to write in about how strongly they feel about the importance of journalistic ethics. They saw all kinds of interesting edges to the issue beyond what I wrote about.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/omblog/

Draft saved Draft deleted