1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A blog post to make you cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Jul 25, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't relate to anything in this, but I'll be damned if I'm not still choking back tears.

http://jenniferlawler.com/wordpress/?p=747

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

God that's so powerful.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, IJAG.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I just can't bear another of those. A few days ago, I read a blog entry/interview of a guy I knew from the college paper - how he's left to raise his 6yo daughter after his wife felt a little sick, was later diagnosed with pneumonia and died at the hospital. And how he told his daughter, Kiki, about her mom not coming home, and about how she still asks about her mom. Tore my friggin' heart out. Then this.

I give up.

EDIT: Here's the interview with Ron Cowie, the guy from my college paper days.
    http://goodmenproject.com/2010/07/22/love-survives/

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Holy. Freaking. Crap.

I feel so inadequate right now. Thanks for sharing, IJAG.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll read it later, don't need anything to make me cry right now.

7. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Yeah, my life has been "unlived" because my children don't have brain damage.

Inspiring.

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Damn it.

My wife is less than 3 weeks from the due date for our first. This blog is hitting me hard right now. Thanks for sharing it, IJAG.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tremendous post. I'll have to check back after Aug. 10 to see how her daughter did during the surgery.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Aside from the emotional wallop, that is some damn fine writing too. The "Satan and ten men" device is something that will stick for a while.

Sluggo -- stay classy.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If that's really what you take from it, then I'm sad for you.

The point was that when you have children, your scale of what "enjoyment" is goes from what you enjoyed doing for yourself to the joy you get from having others in your life. Regardless of the strains or struggles.

Draft saved Draft deleted