1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bittersweet thank you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crusoes, Apr 13, 2011.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Forgive me for not doggedly searching for this, but a thread I saw last week talked about dogs with tumors and the terrible prognosis that comes with it.

My Sparky Boy has had a tumor on his chest since late last year. It was growing to the point where, when I saw my vet in January, she said he had six to eight weeks, and she sounded skeptical about the eight. Sparky, being a Jack Russell terrier, had his stubborn side and has lasted 13 weeks.

But I saw the thread about the tumors and decided to take him in for a checkup. Jackie (the vet) told me the tumor was about to grow through the skin. I have to set up a date to put him to sleep.

I guess what I want to say is thank you for the info, painful as it was to post. I know it will save my Sparky Boy from suffering he didn't need to ensure. There is a lot of sniping and pettiness here, as we know, but there also is real heart, and mine, though it is breaking a little, is also very grateful.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That might have been my RIP, Casey thread. We had to put her down last weekend after a cancerous mass burst in her stomach. So sorry to hear you're going through much the same thing. I know the emotions will fade in time, but I still tear up thinking about the old girl. Like right now.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Don't let your dog suffer, but keep an eye on him and make every day between now and his last the best of his life. Most importantly, love him and let him know he is loved. This is the most important part: when it comes time for the shot, BE THERE WITH HIM. Hold him as he slips away. Reassure him that it'll be OK. (I've got tears right now).

If you don't know what the Rainbow Bridge is, find out.

If I could put my arms around Elton's neck once more and squeeze until it hurts, there is really no telling what I'd give for the chance.

4. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

So awful, and I'm so sorry.

My wife and I had been trying to prepare ourselves that we might have to put down our 3-year-old Corgi today. We spent two days at Texas A&M veterinary school for him to have an MRI and other tests, almost positive he had a brain tumor. It turns out he didn't have it, but we're still waiting to see if he has meningitis or some other infection. It's been a hard week, especially seeing the thread on Casey and now this one.

I'll give my little dude a hug and a kiss for your dog, and best wishes for you and your little guy. It's not easy.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Damn it got all dusty in here.

Hardest decision to make with a pet. But not doing it is usually selfish and only puts the dog in more pain.

It's the right choice, just so damn hard. I can't imagine what it will be like when I have to make that call with Kip. He's such a great dog.

Now, I have to go find tissue.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It was your post. And, again, it was a real service to me. Thank you again.

The day is Tuesday. He's pretty comfortable, but his energy after going outside, which used to be boundless, has flagged noticeably. Tuesday is going to be rough, as is the process of figuring out what to do with the remains, but I've tried to prepare for it as best I can. He's been a good boy, and like any dog owner, I have no shortage of stories involving him and his quirks and antics.

I posted this on Facebook, and there was a tremendous outpouring from people wishing him well. An ex-girlfriend's daughter, who was nine when I got him and is now 24, posted her memories of his antics, and she hasn't seen him in 14 years.

My Sparky Boy will be almost 15 1/2 on Tuesday, and I used to joke he was by far the most popular mammal in my home. I never minded being second banana to him. I will miss him terribly.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We need some dog uplifting around here. Remember the good -- all the good. The end sucks, but never forget the good.

http://www.dogasaur.com/blog/2011/dog-cries-soldier-return/

8. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I think this may be the last few months for my parents yellow lab, Malichy. It's been a short life, 11 or so years, but he's had a good one. I love that goofy mutt. I visit the folks a couple times a month and I make sure to give him plenty of love ... especially scratching his butt. He loves it. Like MileHigh says ... remember the good.
    I got such a kick watching him chase grounders ... not at all a retriever. He'd just sit and chew on those rubber lacrosse balls till I yanked it out of his mouth and hit 'em again - and off he'd go. Twice I've had to fish that big old bastard out of the prep school pond across the street from parents' house. He never could quite catch those geese. He's such a lovable, loyal friend and I'll miss the hell out of him when he goes. My heart goes out to you, crusoes. Sorry to hear about Sparky Boy. Sounds like a helluva dog.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We had our 14 1/2-year-old Aussie cremated, buried some of the ashes in the back yard where he loved to play, spread some others at our family mountain cabin, where he loved to play, and some went into glass container that's still on my son's bedstand.

The vet came to our house to put our dog down, so we could stay with him until the very end and so he could pass in familiar surroundings. It was still traumatic, but far less so than watching the vet lead him away into his office, and we got to see him resting at peace again, almost as if he was asleep.

The cremation company came and picked up the body of our dog about an hour later, and returned with the remains about a week later. It all cost less than $100.

I would highly recommend that approach.

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Crusoes - I'm so sorry, my friend. I had to put my lab-spaniel mix, Pepper, down a couple months ago. She had cancer that was spreading. I should have put her down a few months before that, but my son didn't want to see her go. Her energy level was down considerably, she was losing weight and the tumor really had grown. When I took her to the vet, she had gone from 70 pounds to 55. The vet said she was surprised that Pepper lasted as long as she did from the initial diagnosis (about nine months).

I'm glad I stayed in the room with her when the shot was given. A vet tech and I eased her onto a blanket as her legs gave out. Within 30 seconds of the shot, she was gone.

I think Pepper had an idea what was happening as we were driving to the vet, which is about a half-mile away. She normally would fuss in the car; she didn't this time.

Her being at peace helped put me at peace.

I still miss walking with her every day - I'm walking on my own now, at a much faster pace. Still, I miss her, but I know she's not suffering.

It's not easy, but it's the right thing.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i hope those who feel the need to put down their pet are there when it's done. i have a friend who won't stay for the shot. there's a sign in my vet's office that shows a dog and sez, "i was there for you, please be there for me." i couldn't imagine just taking my buddy logan and leaving him alone to die after all he's done for me.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A rough, tough hockey coach told me the worst day of his life was the day he watched his dog go to sleep. "DO. NOT. WATCH." he said.

But I'll be there. I understand how people can't bear to watch. It doesn't make them any less of a person. It will be hard, but it is time. Sparky is getting longer walks and will be indulging in more peanut butter than usual in the next few days.

At my vet, the cremation is, for a 14-pound dog, $65 for a mass cremation (a bunch of dogs together, no urn or whatever they put them in) and $155 for an individual cremation. Still considering what to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted