1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bittersweet milestone....running question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 15, 2006.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Do not, DO NOT, bust on me for being a fatass. I have a really bad complex. ;) I'll be back in the hotel doing situps instead of hanging out.

HC, I'm sure I won't look like a beanpole.

Everyone who posted the links, thanks. Same for those of you for posting the congrats. I'm really trying for the postive here. When I was younger, I was a pretty good runner (recruited for the XCountry team and such), put some health problems made it impossible.
    I think I'm starting to get over (no pun intended) some mental hurdles too. I really had it in my head that I couln't run that long. But once I broke it down it was better.

2. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Just a thought ...
    Maybe it's running on the track.
    At least some of it.
    I know it's harder to guage distance out on the road. But I know that I really have trouble running on a track. It's just around. And around. And around. On the road, there is at least the mentality of going from point A to point B.
    I don't know if this makes you faster. I just know that when I go running, I go faster doing road work than I do running in circles (or ovals).

3. farmerjerome

I think that one of my questions may have gotten lost in this.

Does it really matter that much that I ran in lanes four and five?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can add two minutes per lane, so if you were in lane five, that's about eight minutes to your actual time.

Of course, I'm full of shit. Just trying to make you feel better.

No, it does not.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I do think there's more distance to cover in the outside lanes. That's why they taper the starters in the 200 meter race.

6. farmerjerome

You are soooo mean. But funny. And it did make me feel better.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

First off, congrats on running a mile. Keep in mind that running for 20 consecutive minutes will burn more fat (way, way more fat) than running a 5-minute mile.

Second, don't freak out. Just keep it up. Run every other day or three on, three off. Set goals, and if you fall short, don't worry. Keep setting them.

Third, I was never "fat", but I was out of shape and a chain-smoker/recovering alcoholic/addict. I used to run a section of this lake I live near (probably 1/4 mile), then walk back home. I kept at it. Eventually, I ran the whole lake (3.5 miles). Eventually I won consecutive 10 Ks. Eventually, I ran a marathon.

Just keep at it. You will eventually feel the exhiliaration of meeting your mile goals AND shed weight/body fat + feel more energy while failing gloriously en route.

Also, check out http://www.mapmyrun.com/. The monotony of track running might be an obstacle to your goals. Map out a "fun" 1-miler, something that offers more beautiful scenery or some kind of motivation and go for it.

8. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Congrats on the mile, FarmerJ.
    I've been doing the weight-loss thing too in the last year (slow and steady and mostly from my workouts), but I'm just not into the running thing. I dog the hell out of the arc and elliptical trainers, but I hate treadmills, hate running. I'd rather walk. But anyway, good job on what you did.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

FJ--Get over the distance thing....the greatest benefit to your body is time, not distance. Thirteen minutes of running--at any speed--equals 13 minutes of accelerated heart rate, metabolism, fat burning, etc. A mile is just a mile.

In fact, if you run faster than your body can handle, aerobically, you'll jack your heartrate into the anaerobic zone, which means you burn sugar, not fat.

So forget about the mile, and see if you can go 15 minutes, then 20, 30, etc. ...you need 30 to be really effective. When you can't run, walk. Doesn't matter. Just keep your heart and lungs going, and you will be great.

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

What I was trying to say; 21 did it more elegantly. It seems strange, but a long, slow run burns more fat than a medium-length, fast run.

I would add that in addition to alternating running/walking, try to throw in a little burst of sprint with the jogging. That will make you faster (interval, or fartlek, training)...if you are still wed to the 10-minute mile idea.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I can walk four or five miles (just did so 3-4 weeks ago), but you put me on a track and I won't be able to move after 1/2 a lap, owing to asthma. I say this to point out the importance of being kind to your lungs, and the way you've progressed it sounds like you have. At any rate, you should be very proud of the strides you've made, and use that pride to motivate you to keep going.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

FJ,

Hey, you ran a mile. That's a start. :)

Just keep doing that as health allows. Perhaps set a goal now for a 10-minute mile, then a 9-minute, then go for 8. As your body becomes accustomed to it, I bet it becomes easier and easier. If nothing else, as a compromise, run a couple laps, then walk one. Alternate, etc., etc.

Good luck. We'll be pulling for you. I wish I could run a mile (not just lousy shape with me ... knee tendonitis and arthritis).

Draft saved Draft deleted