1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bitch of a day, but a ray of light

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the most fucked-up day I've had since I moved down here almost 10 years ago.

To start out, I learn (by reading SportsJournalists.com, of course) that all Texas public school activities are suspended for the next week and a half because of swine flu. Hurricanes have screwed up things before, but I live 4 hours from the coast. Our coverage plan, shaky at best under the original plan, is in shambles.

About an hour after I get to work, I find out the wife of one of our department managers was killed in a head-on collision and his daughter, a passenger, was in the hospital.

Meanwhile, a heavy rainstorm moves in. A lot of flooding in the first wave, then a break, and then the whole area gets pimp-slapped with a squall line. Trees down everywhere and the flooding continues. I have to make two detours driving home for high water.

But I was heartened a bit when I turned onto my street. My 'hood got hit hard by the storm. Every single neighbor of mine has a fence, and the windstorm blew gaping chunks in every fence on the street, snapping wooden posts like twigs. Except my fence, which remains intact. The beauty of it is ... I had it fixed by Jesus two weeks ago for $150.

JESUS* SAVES!

So I'm glad to say a pretty fucked-up day ended on a high note.

* that's Hey-Zoos, the brother of my trusted mechanic Diego.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not only does he save, but he's a hell of an outside scorer.

Glad your fence is OK, but try to have a better day, today. OK?

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I didn't realize Jesus was still doing carpentry work.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, he's just a laborer. He carries the wood and hangs around while someone else does the nailing.

Draft saved Draft deleted