1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A billion inches on Rich Rodriguez

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Larry Lage is one of the best AP guys I've been lucky enough to know in my 18 or so years in the business.

It's amazing to me, that in a day when most state APs don't provide any depth beyond gamers in their sports coverage, Larry's being criticized for attempting to do a nice piece of enterprise work.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So he left one job for another job that he feels will bring better opportunities and he's pig why?

And White-Brained, John Navarre was also 6-foot-6 with a rocket arm. What did he do at Michigan? I don't see you calling Lloyd Carr a one-trick pony for that season.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed for accuracy.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Acting like the $4 mil buyout clause prominently featured in said document somehow didn't apply to his precious ass, for openers.

5. Because we're not talking about Carr. Hell, if Carr could learn one more trick - beating the Buckeyes - he might still have a job.

And spell my name right. It's Write Brian, or something like that.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

For starters, Lloyd Carr was what 5-5, (give or take a game against OSU). Secondly, he retired on his own terms, something that was in the works long before the beginning of last season.

I'm looking forward to more baseless claims.

7. He was 6-7. And you're drinking the Kool-Aid to think he didn't see the writing on the wall after the loss to App. State at home. No way he was going to be allowed to stick around after that.

Edit to add: I should have been more specific in my earlier comment about his career against OSU. 6-7 is hardly anything to write home about, but he was like 1-6? against Tressel. The writing was on the wall.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lloyd Carr said himself after the loss that he wasn't completely focussed, in part because he thought he should have retired the year before.

If Carr was 1-6 against Tressel that would make him 5-1 against Cooper, he also had a seven-game winning streak against MSU, a big winning streak against Penn State and a good fold against Notre Dame. Add it all together with his .500 bowl record, and he has a good winning percentage against his best competition/rivals/bowl opponents.

And thats the last of my thread jacking because this belongs on the NCAAFB thread.

9. That's fine. I wasn't really in the mood for one of these faux-arguments anyway.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Agreed. We ran it inside. It was 70-plus inches, but you could pick and choose and trim what and where you liked. I did one of those stories a few years ago, and trying to stick with football coaches for a week, plus doing your day job, is a challenge and a half. Hats off to Larry.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That's because there are a lot of idiots on this board.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She's a piece of work. A buddy of mine told me she was seen in her sky box during the WVa-Md Gator Bowl in 2003 sobbing her eyes out after Maryland had a 24-0 lead in the first quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted