1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A big W for Cheese Doodles and Stephen A. Smith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nice to know that the union in Philadelphia is busy (and successful) beating management on behalf of an overrated, underworked, overpaid, underliterate hiring mistake from way back. While, you know, matters such as the survival of the newspapers and the jobs of journalists who actually work hard are in jeopardy:

http://www.poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=14002

The Guild first grieved Stephen's August 2007 demotion to general assignment reporter, then his termination and the matter was taken to arbitration. Once again, Guild counsel Neal Goldstein was successful in bringing one of our members back to work, his 10th consecutive victory against the employer.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Joe, without getting into a long drawn out thing, Stephen A., like him or not, was not treated fairly by the paper. It's good that the union did something good instead of selling out.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does this mean he's not going to be a pundit for hire any more? I figured he might have been a good match for Huffington Post's new Sports section.

4. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Happy for Stephen A. Smith.

HOWEVAAAAAA

I will still not read his columns.

HOWEVVVVAAAAAAA

Uh, that's all I got.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

At the end of the day, Stephen A. is still a good read, and that's just the way it is...no ifs ands or buts about it - PERIOD! END OF STORY.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's good they have his expertise on NFL rules back in the fold.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Demoting a columnist who is spending gobs of time doing TV and radio, instead of focusing on his primary employer, is treating him unfairly?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Guess when management makes such a horrible unforced error as creating the salary-sucking, morale-sapping, multi-media monster that Smith became, it must not be allowed to correct that error.

There's no such thing as rotating someone off a column or simply taking it away, even if they're not doing the job that you want done?

Man, unions are stronger in the new millennium than I had been led to believe.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Joe, if a union could pick and choose which of its members to defend against management, no one would join the union in the first place. The union has to defend the provisions of the contract no matter which employee it is. The idea of a union is to reduce favoritism as a factor in job security, not add another layer of favoritism to it. Assuming SAS paid his union dues, he is entitled to have the union fight for him same as it would for anyone else. Not liking his work is entirely subjective. A union is not supposed to act subjectively.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know who's going to cry about him coming back?

SLA-VA MED-EH-VEN-KO!

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. What Stephen eventually does will be interesting to see. Right now, Philadelphia - with John Smallwood sidelined - doesn't have an African American voice in sports as a columnist.
    Again, I'm glad that SAS will get the money that owed to him.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I wonder if he has a Michael Vick column in him?

Draft saved Draft deleted