1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bad signing day?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Feb 5, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

Just curious as to how many out there who covered the National Signing Day proceedings Wednesday actually heard a coach say he DIDN'T have a good recruiting class or that he was disappointed by what his program landed.
    Haven't we all heard the proverbial "my best class ever", "these young men are can't miss prospects" and "I am thrilled by the group of kids we signed" lines?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The only thing I saw more than a coach saying he was happy with his class, were signing day threads. What is this, three now?

3. micke77

micke77 Member

good point and pardon me for posting this topic when i probably should have offered such thoughts on one of the other two threads. hell, the overblown National Signing Day is even getting to this scribe. :D

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"We've got a great class" ranks right up there with the NFL GM line- "We couldn't believe he was still available" in terms of least surprising quotes you hear every year.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pad level.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

and how many times Wednesday did a coach say a certain recruit will bring "a high level of focus and intensity to our team."

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Actually, the coach at the local state college refused to say last year that it was his best class ever, even when some local TV cherry-picker kept baiting him on it. He said something like "We'll have to see what happens in four years." It was actually one of his worst classes in several years.

I remember only because the same guy told the coach yesterday to "talk about the best players in this class." How about a little research?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Clearly a guy who has figured out "working smarter, not harder"

9. I love how they all name each player's high school coach in their press conferences.

One humongous runaway ego stroking another.

10. WVU coach Bill Stewart offered this:

11. "Hopefully," Stewart added, "they won't all act like a bunch of n#*$ while they're here."

12. micke77

micke77 Member

hey Waylon....Bill Stewart is a coach after my heart. now that's telling it like it is. i love it. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted