1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bad Nike commercial on so many levels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll just say it. I liked it.

To me, Nike has to acknowledge this isn't all woohoo, puppies and rainbows, Tiger is back. They're saying, look, we get it, Tiger gets it. You still don't have to buy Nike or watch Tiger. But they're defending their partnership with him, without pretending the crisis is over.

So strictly from a creative and corporate standpoint....I think it was pretty brilliant. I would love to know where the audio came from, and how someone actually found it and thought, 'hmm.'

(And agree with Lugnuts and ijag, Tiger is not getting more attractive with age.)

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not a violent man. How about if I just mock you within an inch of your life?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

But that's a personal thing. It's none of my business. I could care less what he and wife doe in the privacy of their homes. l
    If I were Woods, I would've addressed it once and that's it. Allowing anyone to use my dead father's voice as a money making tool would've been off limits.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The worst thing about this is ad is that I assume a lot of people don't understand it. And, please include me in that group.

I had no idea that was the voice of Tiger's dad. So the whole point was lost on me. And my wife who said "what was that?" after it ended.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

not to a rational human being it's not.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

AQB - you have my permission to mock me ruthlessly if I wear Nike... even a media day scramble freebie.

You're right, 21 - Earl had nothing to do with it. Philandering jackass that he was, he didn't sign off on this.

But the ad just makes my stomach turn. I'm already turned off by Nike because of their questionable labor practices in 3rd world countries, but this is so cynical.

On the question of Tiger's looks, he's never been attractive to me. Not once. But then again - I've never been one to find athletes all that attractive, generally speaking. Which is the height of irony since women are always being accused of getting into sports journalism to "bag an athlete." The whole idea of that makes me want to yack. Most of them are like circus freaks, only not as smart.

And the more Tiger pumps up those biceps, the grosser he looks to me.

His kids are adorable, though.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd rather someone cheat on his wife than put a bullet in her head

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you really think there's any limit to the lack of Tiger's character?

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I understand that Tiger is Nike's bread and butter, and they needed to do something.

My objection is with Earl Fucking Woods.

It ain't 1998. We've seen through the veneer, Earl was as creepy as Tiger when it comes to marital vows.

I don't want to hear ANYTHING from Earl Woods.

Is it logical to tell a dead person to STFU?

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Becks wants to know why you don't love him.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

So, Tiger: Are you sorry that you cheated, or sorry that you were caught cheating?

What a turd.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Other things worse than cheating on your spouse:

--Bilking people out of their life savings.
    --Rape
    --Manslaughter
    --Not letting a sex partner know you have AIDS

and I'm sure I could think of more. Not that cheating on a spouse is fine, by any means, but just sayin'

Draft saved Draft deleted