1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bad Nike commercial on so many levels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Tiger's face looks bloated.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's a shameless piece. I wonder what they said to Tiger to get him to look so pained? "Tiger . . . imagine going home to your wife and children. Perfect. Roll cameras!"

It's not meant to get you to buy Nike gear, yet. Had they just done a "normal" Tiger Woods commercial at this point, they would have been skewered. This way, they get to reboot the campaign, and start fresh next time around. They've "addressed" the controversy, and that's that as far as Tiger and Nike are concerned.

Dammit, why can't people just not care about what kind of person he is, even as he's trying to sell them products!?

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The guy is not attractive. Really and truly. Ick.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

his wallet seems to be

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's what struck me too. They didn't try to beautify him, make him look pure and shiny. He looked rough. And not in a rugged way. Just...not an attractive man.

Which is guess is good, that he showed that. But if you're going to do nothing but a close-up on someone's face that isn't moving...I'd like to not be grossed out by it.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This makes me dislike the company. I don't care what company it is.
    Just way over the top. It could have accomplished much the same thing with with Tiger's face and text that said something like, "Learning is a lifelong process." Or something like that.

7. poindexter

He looked pale and bloated in that last press conference... not the one at the masters, one of the ones before that (they all start to run together)... and with the hairline receding, and the ill-fitting blue shirt collar... he looked quite regular. He's going to need some work with his HGH coach to get his shit back together.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

No. All the guy did was cheat on his wife. That doesn't give the pbulic or any sponsor the right to break him down as if he were a piece of shit. That is between his wife and him.
    As for the image, does that mean you will not buy another pair or Nikes or drink Gatorade or ride in a Buick? If you need a golfer to convince you to buy a product, that's pretty sad in my opinion. However, I do know that people are like sheep. They just need a shepherd and to some, Tiger was that shepherd.
    I waiting to hear Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's take on the commercials.

9. poindexter

Gatorade and Buick have already dropped him.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes. I know. The point I was making was that I didn't drink Gatorade or purchase a Buick because of him.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

To some people, this is the worst thing anyone can possibly do.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree with the thread title. Horrible to use the deceased father's voice, and for what? An ad that's coming out as Tiger gets back to golf, trying to put the focus back on his game.

They should have showed Tiger cranking away on the driving range, then zoomed in on his pissed-off face.

"Think my career's done? Eat shit and die."

Followed instantly by a black screen with only the Nike logo.

Draft saved Draft deleted