1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A bad Nike commercial on so many levels

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just watched Tiger's Nike commercial and it is such an awful thing to behold. For starters, having his father's voice in the commercial is wrong. The script asking him did he learn anything is wrong and Tiger looks like he's in a daze standing there. I can't believe he approved this spot. How many times are you going to beat this guy? Enough is enough.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

To answer Earl's question, "Yeah. Don't get caught."

3. I think Nike is doing this to start rebuilding the Tiger Woods persona, kind of a starting point to the new Tiger Woods, since they decided to stay with him and they are in it together. I also think they failed. It's just strange.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I got that sense too. I don't think I would've subjected myself to a commercial like that if I were in his situation.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If Tiger Woods is ever -- ever ever ever -- caught anywhere on the face of the earth with any other sexual partner than his legally wedded wife, from here on out, this whole ad blows up in his face.

FWIW, I haven't really given much of a shit on the whole Tiger Woods deal up until now. Rich good-looking people get a lot of poon, that doesn't come as a big shock. Nobody should expect Tiger Woods to be a morally-upright role model for anybody, UNLESS he pretends to be one.

BTW, any NIKE ad featuring Tiger Woods, is fully pre-approved by none other than Tiger Woods. NIKE doesn't "subject" Tiger Woods to shit.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Some expert on the Today Show about had an orgasm on the set gushing over how much he loved this ad, about how ballsy it was for Nike/Woods to do it, etc. I didn't pay it too much mind either way. I'm starting to move in the direction of not giving a shit about him anymore. I think we've only seen the tip of the stuff anyway. More and more women are going to come out of the woodwork.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Star, is Tiger a masochist?
    Must be to agree to this spot.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/NikeGolf?v=5NTRvlrP2NU&feature=pyv&ad=5188467574&kw=nike%20golf%20tiger

So people can know WTF is being discussed.

I'm with Moddy. I could give two shits about his family life. I want to see great golf.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nike did a great job on this commercial. Everyone is talking about it. It was on the news last night, all over web sites, on message boards. Just more people saying the name "Nike."

It may have bad content or be bad in this boards' opinion but the commercial has gotten people talking. It is effective and therefore not bad.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

NIKE doesn't do anything to Tiger Woods that he doesn't agree with.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

The ad did do what Nike hoped it would, get people talking about Nike. As for other women, I wouldn't be surprised. Right now, I think people just want to see the world's best golfer get back to his game.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It was Donnie Deutsch. He made millions owning a big ad agency in NY. He also had/has a show in CNBC. Douche is being kind.

Draft saved Draft deleted