1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A.B. has an STD! Eww!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

i can't believe they only sued for 25 grand. i would've shot for 100 and see what they settled at.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. At least get your college tuition paid in the deal.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What kind of weak-willed kid have you raised if a practical jokes causes them to miss the rest of the semester due to this!?!

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Welcome to the New American Way.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Probably the same kind of weak-willed kid that misses a week of school because a picture of her missing the game-winning penalty kick in the state championship soccer game ran in the paper, scarring her for life. Her mom called us and said "We're actually considering home-schooling her the rest of the year because she's so traumatized by this." Of course, the mom had nothing to say when asked if she was traumatized by the dozens of pictures that ran in the previous months of her celebrating goals/wins.

6. Oh, fuck all of that.
    A piece of bullying in front of 45,000 people and the victim gets called "weak-willed"? And that compared to a picture in the newspaper of a game she freely particpated in?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with Fenian. How can anyone not find the Cardinals at fault for running a message like that?

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but A.) how many of those 45,000 people actually saw the message (I know I rarely read those things) and B.) how many of those 45,000 people actually knew who A.B. was?

9. Inky_Wretch

Fen, I've been to games at Busch and seen the text messages scrolling across the screen. They keep them scrolling even during the game itself. Depending on the timing of the post, most of the girl's classmates might have not seen it.

And yes, I think the mother has done a poor job of instilling confidence in her daughter if this incident breaks her. It's not like there was a photo of her on the scoreboard. Aside from her classmates, nobody at the stadium had a clue who the post was talking about ... if they even saw it.

10. I think judging the kid's mother -- to say nothing of the kid -- in this instance is about as morally obtuse as you can be.
    Sorry, that's the way I feel.
    This is one of those moments that winds up in paragraf 25 of a long feature when some 17-year old snuffs herself in the barn. Of course, nobody can ever figure out what made her do it.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It doesn't matter how many people saw the message; it's who saw the message. If the girl was publicly ridiculed by her peers because a message was flashed on a giant television screen at a ballpark, then she's won herself a case.

12. Inky_Wretch

I freely admit the fact I don't have any children might be clouding my thinking on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted