1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A 30th Anniversary Mike Milbury would like to forget....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 23, 2009.

1. JR

JR Active Member

It was 30 years ago today that Bruins players jumped into the stands at MSG to take on the fans, one of whom had reportedly hit Stan Jonathan in the head with a rolled up programme and then stole Jonathan's stick.

Mike Milbury managed to wrestle a shoe off one of the fans and promptly started beating the poor guy with it. And then Mad Mike threw the guy's shoe on the ice.

There's a Youtube link to the brawl in the article

Milbury and Boston’s goalie, Gerry Cheevers, had reached the locker room when the players went into the stands.

“I went from happy and content, and ready to go home for Christmas, to full combat mode in about 20 seconds,” Milbury said.

Cheevers, meanwhile, wanted no part of the action. “I was already on my second beer,” he said, laughing.

Hard to imagine what the fines/suspensions would be now.

Old time hockey!!
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great story, written by a freelance friend-of-a-friend of mine. Loved the ending.
  3. JR

JR Active Member

You can bet it'll be a feature on TSN's "That's Hockey" tonight.

And you can be sure Ron McLean will remind Milbury of the anniversary before the HNIC Montreal/Toronto game on Boxing Day.
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

JR - thanks for posting. Great story. Brings back fond memories of the NHL that I loved to watch. I was living in Boston at than time and watched the Bruins almost every game on TV 38. Loved watching that team even though I was a Ranger fan.

Sad ending in that the 2 brothers had passed away but their 84 year old dad is still alive.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not for Ron Artest.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jonathan was one tough hombre. If I was going to fight him I'd want more than a rolled-up program in my hands.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pierre Bouchard will attest to that. What a beating Jonathan gave him in '78 Stanley Cup.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Met Stan Jonathan at the Allan Cup in Brantford two years ago. Nice as hell. And for a short man, his hands are just massive.
  9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I think it was in Plimpton's book, Milbury's wife says she was watching the game on TV and when Mike took the guy's shoe off she knew it was going to end up on the ice.
  10. JR

JR Active Member

Someone married Mike Milbury?
  11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The thread title is fail. The last thing Milbury wants is for this incident to slip away, its anniversary unnoticed. He relishes the continued notoriety. It's clear from watching him on TV that he's trying to set himself up to be the new Don Cherry when Grapes finally packs it in or dies. Big problem, though - Milbury has few if any of Cherry's hockey credentials and, seemingly, none of his good qualities as a person. He's a loudmouth without the substance to back it up.
  12. Double J

Double J Active Member

By the way, I love Denis Leary's take on it. But I'm mystified as to what the fuck Carol Alt is on about, as well as why she was even contacted for the article.
Draft saved Draft deleted