1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9mm brand/model of choice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stretch15, May 3, 2007.

?

Which brand of 9mm would you recommend

1. Glock

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Sig Sauer

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Beretta

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Springfield

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. S&W

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Desert Eagle

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Other

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Three_bags_full inspired me to create this poll after giving me some advice on purchasing a handgun.

Any comments on ease of cleaning and if your model of choice is good/bad to use as CCW would be appreciated.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How much money do you have? That will be a major factor in this decision.

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Great point Doc - I should have included that.

I'd be willing to spend around $650 to $700 at most.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

For that money, I'd get a 1911 in .45.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then you can cross off the Glock, Baretta, Sig and Desert Eagle. Unless you buy them used.

6. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Interesting...

I went to a local Sportsmans Warehouse and they had the following:

Glock 17: $499
    Glock 34: $599
    Beretta 92: $629
    Deseret Eagle Baby Eagle: $469

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I've always thought this one was pretty.

[​IMG]

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Goddamn, prices have dropped since I last looked three or four years ago. I wanted a Glock, since it's about the most durable/reliable on the market, but it was waaaay out of my price range. Besides, the cleaning and maintaining of a semi-automatic or automatic is too much of a hassle for me for the amount of time I'd actually use it at a range. Plus, I've kind of soured on guns recently.

But if a Glock is in your price range, get it and don't look back. You practically could pour sand in the fucking thing and it'll still shoot.

9. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

The guy took out the 17 and took it apart in 10 seconds - 5 pieces total. It blew me away.

I've also heard the Springfield XD is very simple to disassemble.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have no experience with a Springfield, but if you have a choice you won't regret getting the Glock. Trust me.

11. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Which model is that Clever?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

From the Google search. This is the website: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m9.htm

M9 9 mm Beretta Pistol / Personal Defense Weapon
    The M9 Beretta pistol is the standard Army sidearm. It replaced the M1911A1 pistol in .45 caliber. It is basically a Beretta 92F pistol and fires the 9mm NATO round. A semiautomatic, double-action pistol, the M9 is more lethal, lighter, and safer than its predecessors. The M9 is carried by crew-served weapon crewmen and by others who have a personal defense requirement, such as law enforcement personnel and aviators. It replaces the M1911A1 .45 caliber pistol and the .38 caliber revolver.

The M9 is a light weight, semiautomatic pistol manufactured by Beretta with has redundant automatic safety features to help prevent unintentional discharges. It can be fired in either double or single action mode and can be unloaded without activating the trigger while the safety is in the "on" position. The M9 pistol has a 15-round magazine, and may be fired without a magazine inserted. This weapon can have the hammer lowered from the cocked, "ready to fire," position to the uncocked position without activating the trigger by placing the thumb safety on the "on" position.

The 9mm Pistol Program was a Congressionally-directed Non-Developmental Initiative to standardize DoD with NATO and field one handgun for all United States armed services. Beretta of Italy was awarded a multi-year contract for delivery of over 500,000 pistols. The contract award stipulated that production of the weapon must transition from Italian to US production after two years. The US Army is the lead service in this program.

Primary function: Semiautomatic pistol
    Builder: Beretta and Beretta USA
    Length: 8.54 inches (21.69 centimeters)
    Width: 1.50 inches (3.81 centimeters)
    Height: 5.51 inches (14 centimeters)
    Barrel length: 4.92 inches (12.5 centimeters)
    Weight fully loaded: 2.55 pounds (1.16 kilograms)
    Bore diameter: 9mm (approximately .355 inches)
    Maximum effective range: 152.5 feet (50 meters)
    Magazine capacity: 15 rounds
    Muzzle velocity: 1200 feet (365 meters) per second
    Unit Replacement Cost: $263
    Marine Corps Inventory: 82,000

Draft saved Draft deleted