1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9964 down, 36 to go

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Of course it is.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

3. if i'm not mistaken, this extends beyond baseball. i'm pretty sure no other professional sports franchise has as many loses than the phils....

4. Pretty much all down hill for the Phils. It seems unlikely that they've ever been over .500. Their first season, 1883, they were 17-81 -- losing their first 8 in a row.

It's likely they've lost more than any college or high school program as well, since they basically go back reasonably close to the beginning of organized sports and play more games than just about everyone.

5. boots

boots New Member

I think the candystripers will rebound and again be in the chase for a post season berth.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Washington Generals?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no way the incompetent Phils and their clueless manager will avoid losing No. 10,000 before July.

They play 70 games between now and July 1 and would have to play exactly .500 (35-35) to not lose No. 10,000 before July 1. They do not appear even remotely capabale of doing that.

June 19!

8. boots

boots New Member

Phillies always start out slow. Get hot in June and July begin a quick dip in August, rebound in early September, get cold in mid-September, heat up again at the end of the season.
    I think they'll be bettter than anticipated in that 70-gme span.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You're going to have to wait for those last 36, because the Phillies are going to win out.

I can only hope

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I thought that might be the case, but I didn't want to assume that and see dozens of posts saying I was wrong.
    So will the Phils be the first franchise since the Washington Generals to lose 10,000? Granted all of the Generals' losses were to the same team.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... and by a wide margin, too. They're 500 wins over .500 -- just goes to show you how good they were in the first half of the 20th century.

And A_QB, they surely didn't own the 1920s. They were actually pretty abysmal from 1919-1925 (both Chicago teams were, for different reasons 8)), and didn't crack 90 wins until 1928. Joe McCarthy came in and took a couple years to lay the foundation for the 1929, '32, '35 and '38 pennant winners.

In addition to the 1930s, they did own the late 1900s and early 1910s -- in fact, of non-Yankees teams, their decade-long dominance from 1904-13 was arguably the best in baseball history. Two WS champs, four NL pennant winners, four 100-win seasons (including the best record in baseball history, 116-36 in 1906), no fewer than 88 wins, no worse than third place in any season of that decade-long stretch. Led by a Hall of Fame infield -- Tinker, Evers, Chance and ... Steinfeldt, who's not in Cooperstown, then Zimmerman, who would have been if he weren't a mercurial head case before he got a lifetime ban in the wake of the Black Sox scandal -- and Three-Finger Brown on the mound, the only guy who wouldn't back down to Mathewson in a big game.

Helluva team.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah? Well he still fucking hates this team.

Draft saved Draft deleted