1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. V's magical putter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helluva of a story about a golf club designer.

http://grantland.com/features/a-mysterious-physicist-golf-club-dr-v/

SPOILERS BELOW

I want to know how Dr. V was able to have those 4-star generals vouch for her, as well as speak with Dan Quayle? I assume Gary McCord was duped too, but that really doesn't explain how those guys vouched for her?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just finished reading this story and came here looking to see if there might be a thread about it. Incredibly fascinating.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I had thought about starting one, too, but didn't for whatever reason. That was one of the most bizarre things I've read in a while.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it and while I'm typically against the use of first person, I thought it worked fine here. It was a really good piece written by really good guy.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not everyone is a fan: https://twitter.com/laurenarankin

I guess Disney/ESPN/Grantland is ok with outing under the right circumstances.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There will be some serious consequences from this for the writer and for Grantland.

7. TheSportsPredictor

The author and his editor have been getting eviscerated on Twitter the last few hours.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Person in question is dead, right? Don't think she's going to care.

9. TheSportsPredictor

She killed herself because the writer told her he was going to out her.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

I meant now that this story is out there.

BTW, I've read the end of that thing three times now and I'm still not sure he ever says he was going to actually write the story before her death. Obviously, she thought he was going to, but I can't really tell. There's a part where he wonders if any of the inconsistencies in her story matter, and I'm not sure he ever answered that.

11. TheSportsPredictor

From what I understand, he outed her to people who knew jer during his reporting.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was just impressed that Grantland/espn.com had a big takeout on golf and it wasn't about Tiger.

And the author pulled off a rare feat in rendering McCord speechless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.