1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FROM 2012 INTO 2013 POLITICS THREAD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here it is - those of you who think this is a place for political talk are getting your wish. With a few rules and only a few rules. Please follow them.

*No board, just a thread. Lots of reasons, not going into them for the sake of brevity and time. So it all goes here. If you want to participate, I guess you have to keep up.

*Very limited rules FOR THIS THREAD ONLY. Have at each other all you want. Call each other mo-fos, dumbfucks, whatever you want. If you can't take it, I strongly advise you to stay away. PMs to any of us that say, "So and so is being mean to me," from this thread will not be treated kindly. You know how some people are here - deal with them at your own risk.

*NO OUTING. OF ANY KIND. DO NOT USE PREVIOUS NAMES A POSTER MAY HAVE HAD. AT ALL.

*No spillage. Don't talk about The Fight Club. No references in any other thread on the board. "You proved on the politics thread you were a dumbass," is the kind of thing I'm talking about here. Keep it contained.

*NO PICTURES. AT ALL. Again, reasons too numerous to list. Just don't do it. We have a handful of posters who take delight in finding silly pictures to post on the board. DO NOT do it on this thread. NO PICTURES

*Since we now have a place to discuss politics, get rid of any politically charged avatars and sigs you have. No need for them now. People who want nothing to do with this thread or politics don't want to deal with that on the rest of the board.

This thread will probably be shut down the Friday after the election. Don't be the asshole who gets it all shut down beforehand. We have people on both sides who are so so so so so over the top it is ridiculous. Even with the limited rules here, try to control yourself.

Finally, before you can post here, you MUST send me a PM that says "I have read the rules for the politics thread and accept them." That simple. I don't want any surprises later. If you are one of the 3-4 people I have blocked, send the PM to Headbutt and he will alert me. That is all your PM needs to say. Don't offer thoughts, ideas, suggestions. I realize this seems rather silly but there is a reason. We want to be sure everyone understands fully what they're getting into with this. We don't want you to say oh, cool, politics! And then come running to us when someone calls you a stupid mo-fo. So please just deal with it (as many of you have already - thanks)

I'm certain some will complain that this isn't good enough yada yada yada. Nothing we do would be good enough for a handful, so we won't worry about that. You want to talk politics here? Deal with this setup. This isn't just my doing. We've all talked about it and agreed to give this a try. If you find this too constrictive, find another place to talk politics.

Now have at it. Questions to me in posts will not be answered because I don't plan to hang around this thread.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: THE 2012 POLITICS THREAD

Ann Romney to critics (including fellow GOPers): You never played the game!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/09/ann-romney-to-critics-stop-it-this-is-hard-you-want-136231.html?hp=l2

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Baseball can't be truly competitive until we get a salary cap. Except my Reds are in the playoffs, so never mind. Wait, what are we doing here?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd like to go back to the fact that our government is condemning this "film" about Islam, has requested YouTube to pull it, and has taken out adds in Pakistan criticizing it.

It's wrong on many levels, but what's really bugging me is that the United States has long given voice to dissidents around the world. And, our support has given hope to many of them. The idea that America is a strong and free enough nation to allow speech that the government disapproves of is part of what makes us great, and a beacon of hope for those around the world.

For us to seek to silence speech which makes us uncomfortable threatens all of that.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Way before any of us were around, politics was defined as "the art of saying nice doggie while looking for a stick." I don't think anyone is eager to be on the side of mob rule, but hard to fault them for taking short term steps to keep the whole thing from going blooey.

6. Dick Whitman

My, well, concern, as I stated on one of the locked threads, is that this may somehow be interpreted by these weekend warrior terrorists that our government has some degree of control over speech. That it can pressure or coerce, at the very least. But I know that's flawed and am not sure if I have a better answer.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Is there a way to get an RSS feed just from this thread?

[/KiddingButNotReally]

8. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

Good question.

9. Dick Whitman

Also worth bringing up: What the hell is going on with Gallup? It's a complete outlier poll right now, and has the race tied at 47-47. This is just a few days after having Obama with a 7-point lead. Is its credibility imperiled at this point?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Stop it. This is hard." That's what she said.

(That IS what she said.)

11. Dick Whitman

And also: "You want to try it?"

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney is Kerry without the sparkle.

Also, again, there are Constitutional precedents for limiting speech, and any government - including our own - is free to comment upon speech.

It's fine not to like those things, but dishonest to pretend they don't exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.