1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

92 East Regional Final; Duke vs. Kentucky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Best College Basketball Game Ever?

ye olde chef says yes;

on Classic right now.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dunno if it's the best ever, but on the short list (plenty of bias ... full disclosure and all):

Maryland-N.C. State - 1974
    Georgetown-North Carolina - 1982
    N.C. State-Houston - 1983
    Villanova-Georgetown - 1985
    Duke-UNLV - 1991
    Kentucky-Duke - 1992
    Syracuse-Connecticut - 2009

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Wasn't this the last basketball game ever played at the Spectrum?

4. Sam Mills 51

No. I think the Sixers were there for a while longer before moving across the parking lot.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Thought this was very interesting;

From wikipedia;

Pink Floyd played the Spectrum in 1972, 1973, 1975 and 1977. They last played two shows there on June 28 and 29, 1977, during their Animals/In the Flesh tour. On the second night (June 29, 1977), Floyd member Roger Waters fell ill and did most of the show after a painkiller injection. However, the painkiller wore off and was taken to the hospital and missed the final encore of "Us and Them" where second guitarist Snowy White had to fill in on bass guitar. Unbeknownst to the crowd, this was the first time that the rest of Pink Floyd (guitarist/vocalist David Gilmour, drummer Nick Mason and keyboard player Rick Wright) performed a song live without Waters (they would go on without Waters as of 1986). Roger's experience performing while ill at this venue would be documented on "Comfortably Numb".

6. Sam Mills 51

Time-less. Never causing any Brain Damage.

Just seeing that ending again. Great ending, fantastic baseball pass by Grant Hill ... did he learn that from Roger Staubach on his father's practice field?

Felt bad for the Kentucky seniors who stuck it out after the program was slammed into probation. Otherwise have detested this program since it popped the balloon of the Miracle of '78 out of Durham.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wait a minute, Sam. You can't be old enough to actually remember the '78 final.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is actually the most overrated game ever. Yeah, it had a tremendous ending, but most of the game was poorly played and blunder-filled. Houston gave that away more than NC State won it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Guy Lewis decisions at the end of that game made Calipari's blunders look good in comparison.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered a couple of Atlantic 10 tournaments at the Spectrum in the mid-90s.

11. Sam Mills 51

I was four years old. I had more than inkling about the ACC even then ... pretty much a way of life, S-P.

Gene Banks was my favorite growing up until Johnny Dawkins came along. He, Mike Gminski, Kenny Dennard and Jim Spanarkel helped Bill Foster along. Gminski and Banks were still there for Mike Krzyzewski when he was brought to Durham from Army.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Covered that Final 4. Foster had gone from Rutgers to Duke.
    Spanarkel is a Jersey guy, still lives a few miles from me

Draft saved Draft deleted