1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

92,000+ for Bama spring game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chazp, Apr 21, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

When I arrived at the stadium today, about 45 minutes before kickoff, the lower half was pretty much full. It was pretty amazing to sit there and watch the place slowly fill up by halftime.

Of course, about a third of them left at halftime since they weren't really there to see a football game anyway.

There was much discussion about whether 92,000 people coming to a spring game was sad, exciting or kinda creepy. I voted for a mix of the three.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Who fucking cares?

These games are just fleecing people of what meager money their job at 7/11 gives them.

Do you really think this ganes sharpens them up for the fall? Do you think the position battles are won in this game?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

There was no admission fee at the Bama game.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because you do things for love and marriage, I was one of the 92K+ sitting in the stands for the spoogefest of Nick Saban, or after watching him today -- coach Sawed Off.
    It was one of the damnedest things I've ever seen.
    99 percent of them wore Red or White or Bammer something (cept for I, resplendent in my Fraser's Pub staff shirt and Titleist Michigan hat.
    They loved them some Sawed Off today. They game him a standing ovation (all but a handful) when he came on the field, they cheered when he left the field. They didn't boo when John Parker Wilson played like shit...
    As for coach Sawed Off (who now goes in folklore with Loopy and the Dwarf), the whole time, he wore a gray blazer with dark pants. Never took the blazer off, even though it got quite warmly and sunny on the field (and I have the burn to prove it). He stood behind the backfield maybe 6-9 yards on every play -- with some kind of assistant or gopher steps from him. Every fucking play, right there, looking all of a modern-day Napoleon -- short compared to the others and micromanaging along the way.
    As for the crowd, that was odd too. They had the lower bowl open, then sent people up to the upper deck on the pressbox side. Then they opened the upper deck over the endzone, then the far side. And this was a no-bullshit attendance. I tend to doubt 92K, but 85 anyway simply because no one was crammed together; you had room to manuever, unlike a real game and trying to wedge your 18-inch-wide ass into a 14-inch-wide seat.
    But there were a lot of fucking people there, lovin them some coach Sawed Off. As for Bama? Good thing they have the usual SEC baby-soft non-conference schedule... theyz a lot of work to do.

And to my buddy in the press box: fk ns...

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Flyin' Headbutt ... if you'll provide your own transportation here I will provide you with a place to stay and transportation and food while you're here. I'll clear my schedule for you.
    Maybe then you make an educated, informed decision instead of generalizing and stereotyping.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But where's the fun in that?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He needs to develop a signature look to take the place of the Bear's houndstooth hat.

How about this:

[​IMG]

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I have been to 'Bama. Spent two weeks there and had a blast. Some of the nicest people I've ever met and I'm still friends with some of them to this day.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

watching him work the game today, it should be more like this...
    [​IMG]

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

So Sue Me ... you're welcome at the Horton house anytime ... stop by and pick up Headbutt on the way here.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I had a nice meal Thursday night at the Fish Market in Birmingham, then took in the symphony ...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if you bring Tim Horton's to Bill Horton's

Draft saved Draft deleted