1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

911's (allegedly) a joke at Indy Star

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jul 25, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Last I checked, Romenesko has always been a link farm, albeit one that attracts a lot of bright, connected people within the industry who often manage to suss out things we wouldn't otherwise find.

For the love of God, does everything have to be the fault of Pointer and/or the vast design-wing conspiracy? Because when you stay away from that topic, you actually come across as a decently interesting and entertaining poster. But whenever it's brought up (or you dredge it up yourself), your online personality morphs into a cross between Curly Howard hearing "Pop Goes the Weasel" and Frank Burns ranting about the UN.

Enough. We all surmise that you got dicked over at some point by somebody (or somebodies) who thought that visual > words. Lots of other people have gotten dicked over in life, myself included. For the sake of sanity, we had to learn to let it go.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This one's not a design issue.

If any other site just linked to things, everyone here would be saying: "BLOGS! They don't do any of their own reporting; they just link to what's published."

This is the same type of deal.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The phones issue is just one aspect of this story. An important one, yes, but only one. The blog makes a good point about defib paddles-- I don't think you can pin that on Gannett, as I'm sure other big papers/chains don't have those near a newsroom, but it is an important detail.

Living here in Indy and having read the papers, I can't get past the fact that the Star did such a poor job about reporting on the cause of the photographer's death, as I posted earlier. "Collapsed and died" doesn't cut it for me when a healthy 34-year-old drops dead in your own building.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

A few things come to mind:

• Wouldn't it be as quick to call on your cell phone anyway? 9-1-1-send vs. 9-9-1-1.
    • The lack of CPR training is shameful for everyone involved. If nothing else, there should be rudimentary directions posted nearby. Isn't that an OSHA thing?
    • How did they let it go that long in the first place? If I hear someone in assumably normal health sound like "a rusty accordion", I'm probably getting help sooner than they did.
    • Much as I'd like to bust on Gannett, the only thing that I see that can get a plantiff money is that the freight elevator was blocked. The 911 policy is stupid, but probably didn't make any difference in the end since people were already calling it on their cell phones.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

We have a defibulator in our newsroom... I wouldn't know how to use it, though. Maybe I should ask somebody....

6. markvid

markvid Guest

How did they let it go that long in the first place? If I hear someone in assumably normal health sound like "a rusty accordion", I'm probably getting help sooner than they did.

That's what really stood out to me when I read the original story.
    And they were calling his mom in Philly?
    For God's sake, get help on the way now, make the other calls later.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

A defibulator is probably a great thing to have in a newsroom, because it's sort of a portable lie detector that measures voice tension and is great when people have had a few drinks at parties, or to play truth or dare.

But you'd probably be better off asking about the defibrillator. Sorry; you teed that one up.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I have looked all the way back to Friday.

I'm not seeing even a link.

What am I missing, folks?

9. dixiehack

It was in the left-hand rail, where it has since been apparently killed in favor of the Indy Star's response. There is a "related story" link from E&P outlining what went down.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002878956

I remember thinking originally that it was an awfully strong accusation to post (on Romenesko's part) without further sourcing. That's why I went as far as to put allegedly in my headline, thus ruining the flow of an old-school rap reference.

10. dixiehack

And just in case the original author gets lawyered up at some point, the original text.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D That's what I do... I put stuff on tees. Happy to be of service.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I call a cab cause a cab'll come quicker.

Draft saved Draft deleted