1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 3, 2012.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: When did you give up on a job search and deliver pizza?

I think you'd be surprised how many academics there are out there who value journalists' skills. In fact, many folks here could probably piece together some nice part-time work doing thesis/dissertation editing for those students who are outside the humanities (and for whom competence at writing is not nearly such a given). Many, many graduate students are willing to pay handsomely for someone to take their terrible writing and at least get it in the realm of acceptable. Y'all should look into it.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Luckily, my brother runs a counseling service, so I will likely be able to get a job with them. That's what I am planning for.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Craigslist is your friend, as well as bulletin boards on college campuses.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can only speak to community college, because that's my field now.

When I say 'be realistic,' I mean you have to understand that there are not an abundance of full-time tenure track positions available, and they don't open often.

We have one tenured and one adjunct instructor for journalism. That's another discipline in which openings are not readily available. Further it's a program that being considered for elimination in some cases.

The other things I mention are ways to make yourself standout in the hiring practice. The issue of professional development, journals, conferences, etc. plays well where I work.
    The two certificates I mentioned are not required under our specific CBA, but at our place and statewide you will lose the job to someone holding those certs.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've heard of something like this. Maybe it's California? (You don't have to answer if you're afraid it'll out you). I worked with a lecturer many moons ago who had that credential for the California community college system. Per him, if a job came open and he wanted it, because he had that credential he (and others like him) had the right of first refusal.

Draft saved Draft deleted