1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bradley Guire, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: When did you give up on a job search and deliver pizza?

I've contemplated it many a time over the past six months. But where I live, it's not really safe to deliver pizzas, and driving 40 minutes north to do it kind of takes the profit out of it.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If things fall apart, my fallback, I think, would be the seafood counter at Wegmann's. I think I could do that without clubbing myself in the head every morning.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Problem, as I'm learning, is you probably couldn't get that job. Pizza delivery, they don't care. But Wegmann's, they're not going to hire someone overqualified for it.

I've applied for the past three Christmas seasons to work part-time at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, all of them. Never even a phone call.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I tried driving a cab one night, but after searching the newspaper website for stories involving the company, most involved drivers getting beat up and stabbed.

Sorry to hear your struggles. I had my own health problems 10 years ago that kept me from working anything besides contract jobs for about 18 months.

Even now, I'm starting the job hunt for when I get my master's in December. After hearing nothing for three months, have had three phone interviews in the past two weeks.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've applied at those places, too. Like you, I never heard back. And I applied the second they started taking applications for those positions.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

After a year of hunting after Peace Corps, I was set to go at Target. Did the drug test and all, then a newspaper job came through. Didn't want news at all -- desperately wanted out of the industry -- but there was nothing else available. The newspaper job -- international -- paid only marginally better than Target, but my position was eliminated after the 12-month contract finished.

I am now doing an AmeriCorps gig -- 12 months at the poverty level, but hopefully in a year things will improve. I'm doing communications and PR' I hope never to set foot in a newsroom again.

I would have worked at Target, though.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I've been very lucky. I have a steady job in retail with great benefits while I search. The problem is, I've been searching for two solid years without so much as a nibble.

Out of the blue, I have my first interview Thursday. It's the first job interview I've gone on in over six years. I'm basically trying to get into a 9-5 job so I can freelance when I want to. I've started taking classes at the community college in office stuff to shore up my resume (and gain the confidence to stand behind it) and there is a local job center that offers career counseling.

It's not like I'm shooting for the stars here. I'd like a job that I can pay my bills and have enough left over to go on a decent vacation once a year. Maybe a concert or and overnight here and there. Just above poverty level works for me.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I interviewed for a part-time job with Target last year, but the interviewer told me I wouldn't get hired because I had a degree and would jump ship for something better.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Funny about graduate school since my professors think I'm one of the better writers in the program, and I don't think I'm that great. But writing clearly is a skill that good professors look for and my GPA has been stellar in grad school after managing a GPA above 3.0 for my undergrad work after failing most of my classes freshman year.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Presumably, at least 80 percent of the people reading, much less posting, on this thread are college graduates. Yet we are reading that "just above poverty level" is acceptable, or "I hope to work at Target."

Not to get all political and all, but is there any doubt that society has completely changed since our parents entered the job market? And is it not clear that the American standard of living that we've all grown accustomed to since 1960 or so is bound to be falling apart?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

IJAG, I think the one thing you're missing there is that I'm 54 years old. Big difference. I am not in a position where I can pick and choose positions. I think if a chain sees a 54-year-old looking for work, they're not thinking he's waiting for the next big thing, because at that age, the next big thing isn't coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted