1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A very private, intimate ceremony

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jun 3, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

With 200 guests, and a 27-person bridal party!

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20120603/NEWS/306020060?nclick_check=1

How the hell do you describe this as a "low-key ceremony"?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Journalism topic ... how?

3. YankeeFan

Because Gannett described a 200 person wedding, with a 27-person bridal party, as "intimate" and "low key".

Stupid.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Low-key has nothing to do with the size of the crowd. And 200 is not large at all, we had double that at our wedding.

5. imjustagirl

I had originally written "is 200 really that many?" But I didn't want to invite YF's wrath. So thank you for saying it.

6. YankeeFan

200 isn't huge, but it's also not small.

A 27-person bridal party? That's big -- especially for a 30-year-old and a 45-year-old. You usually see big wedding parties with younger couples.

This was a full blown, Church wedding, with a big white dress, and 200 guests. So, is it "low key" because the President didn't attend?

I don't understand. What was intimate about it?

Show, don't tell, right? Gannett told me it was intimate. Nothing they showed indicated the same.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Neither private nor intimate connotes size.

8. YankeeFan

Private = not public. I haven't really bitched about that.

But, intimate and low-key? Does anything in the article indicate either of those?

9. imjustagirl

Did you see the church? Do you know how large it is? Did you see how ornate the decorations were? You can have 200 people in the seats and 13 people next to each of you, but if it's the two of you, a bouquet, two officiants and a small church, that's intimate and low-key.

10. Point of Order

Yes, the lede.

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It would have been appropriate for Biden, as host, to invite several hundred Senators, staffers, foreign dignitaries, Delaware pols, and assorted spouses.

Or his daughter could have a wedding where the guests were all family and friends.

YF, I can see where you find that incomprehensible.

12. Point of Order

What's your theory, YF? The reporter is a liar? A stooge for the Obama Administration?

Draft saved Draft deleted