1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

90 years ago today: The beginning of the end for Fatty Arbuckle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 5, 2011.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

He can do that.

[​IMG]

2. I think he could pass for 46 year-old washed up Arbuckle, lloking back on the wholew thing..

Hoffman would be Oscar worthy. He can act.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I could entirely see some modern coked-up athlete using a bottle in similar fashion.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Arbuckle had talent, which excludes Hill from playing him...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hollywood has blacklisted talent as long as there's been celluloid. Probably happens today too.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

In the days when the studios had a lot of control, it was possible to blacklist people. It would be much harder because there are more independent and foreign productions. Movie makers will employ anyone who can sell tickets.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He's perfect for it. No one else is close.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hollywood (or at least the film biz) still blacklists.
    Michael Chiklis' film career died right after he played John Belushi in "Wired."
    After playing O.J. In a TV movie, Michael Jai White hasn't done another American film (save for "Kill Bill Part 1 - Tarantino. doesn't observe blacklists). White mainly does Eastern chopsocky.

9. Isn't Chiklis in the Three Stooges movie?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they wouldn't flat-out announce to the public "We're not employing this guy, and no theater is allowed to play his films," like they did Arbuckle.

Rather, they just wouldn't get any parts. And people would be pissed off that some corporate idiots were telling them who they could and couldn't watch on the movie screen.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I haven't seen either of those so I'm curious, what about the roles/films led to blacklisting?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what way was Chiklis ever "blacklisted?"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004821/

Draft saved Draft deleted