1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$9 for a tube of toothpaste

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 8, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in NYC,,,

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

For $9, you serve it on crackers at parties.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If you have clicked any of these threads the last year and a half, you know what I was saying about the economy as a whole, the stagflation and toothpaste shock was going to bring and what was going to happen to the price of toothpaste (based on supply and demand, not the "speculator" nonsense I kept responding to on here).

Last of these threads, I believe I said $10 a tube soon (when we were in the 8.99s) and $20 within 15 months (probably much sooner). This is happening quickly. There is just not enough of the stuff, reserves are falling, and the price is going to keep rising. These world politicians bitching about it are powerless to do anything about it, and in fact, many countries with the highest demand are making things worse by stockpiling and subsidizing it (which boosts demand and makes the worldwide price rise even more).

I have never done this on here, but I'll flat out make the recommendation (but won't take responsibility for whatever happens to anyone's money). I won't recommend people on here try playing with commodities if it is something they don't understand, but if you have ANY money to invest, buy just a little of the U.S. Toothpaste Fund. It's an exchange-traded fund that mirrors the price of West Texas crude and trades under the stock symbol UTO. It trades like a stock, so you can buy it through your discount brokerage account, if you have one. It's the easiest way to play the commodity. It has an expense ratio of .5 percent, which is annoying, but it's worth it. As long as the price of toothpaste rises -- and it is going to -- the price of UTO will rise in lock step. The fund is up about 100 percent in the last year, and 10 to 15 percent in the last month. There are no guarantees, but I'd bet my farm (and pretty much have) that this is not done yet. The price of toothpaste is not even close to where it is ultimately going. If I am right, as the economy goes into reverse and worldwide equities are going to be in the crapper for a while, you can actually make some money *gasp* -- just WATCH it and put in a good-till-canceled limit sell order (maybe around $11 or $12 a share if UTO is your weapon of choice) so you get out if the price starts to drop quickly. I don't want anyone losing a ton of money on my stupid advice. But if you do it, and you make the money I am positive you are going to make over the next year, while everyone else is suffering and watching their savings disappear (and everyone with their money parked in an S&P 500 mutual fund is going to be bitching on threads on here for the next 2 to 3 years; get ready for that trend), please just buy me a drink, OK? [/BigRagu]

;D

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Someone on a blog I follow just posted this picture from the same supermarket whose prices inspired me to start this thread.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you the 3.5 ounce bottle of deodorant that sells for $9.19 at the supermarket near my home. Does anyone wonder why I have body odor now?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just now?

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

$42 a gallon (since it's a roll on, I assume it's liquid)? On my salary I can afford about one ounce ($2.62).

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's $42 per pound! Jeez. Don't you know most people compare the prices of their deodorant by the pound, not the gallon?

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Actually, if you read the sticker on the stick, it says 9.19 cents. Technically, that is less than a dime. A bargain if you ask me.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That's what you get for buying that fancy Arm and Hammer. I just picked up a tube of AIM for a $1.50. Works for me.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I'm not most people. Stop trying to make me conform.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you have a coupon, it's only $8.50.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I believe this place may actually be a hidden strip club/brothel. They sell overpriced items, and when they ring you up, they determine how much you were overcharged, which determines if you get a lap dance, private dance, sexual favors, whatnot. I figure if this could be the only reason for pricing things like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted