1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9 dead soldiers ... in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lamar Mundane, Jul 13, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Just pointing out it's obvious you don't give a shit about American soldiers getting killed except in the context of using a story about their deaths to start another thread pushing your political agenda. It's shameful.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

How is it obvious to you that Lamar doesn't give a shit about the soldiers, but it's not obvious to you that McCain dislikes gays and doesn't want them to adopt?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Lamar hasn't said a damn thing about the soldiers in this thread. He's exploiting their deaths so he can get in a pissing match with conservatives on the board.

As for McCain, it's obvious he would rather have a child adopted by a man and a woman instead of a gay couple. That's not the same as disliking all gay people.

EDIT: I agree with SC. I said my piece; I'm out.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Really? Wow.

Are you that naive?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

McCain probably just ate lunch. Maybe you can start a new thread about that, too.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm getting an Anti-Virus alert on the This Thread Sucks photo. Can you please delete it, or post an alternate one?

8. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

As I replied to Boom on one thread, one side might be the Lakers without Kobe.

Your side, however, is still the Knicks.

Things aren't going well in Afghanistan, and Lamar wasn't needed with today's link to back that up. The June death toll was the highest of the war thus far, the insurgency is increasingly violent, a Pentagon report said the Taliban is "likely to maintain or even increase the scope and pace of its terrorist attacks and bombings in 2008," and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs says we don't have enough manpower in Afghanistan, thanks to Iraq.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/06/27/afghan.fighting/?iref=hpmostpop

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/02/AR2008070202010.html

And you think someone pointing this out bolsters your war arguments?

Wow. Just wow.

I'm sure tony will now come along and claim that pointing out the facts means that I'm invested in defeat and want America to lose, Zag will chime in with one of his stupid THAT'S DIFFERENT! strawmen, Boom will post a truncated, out-of-context quote from a Democrat from 1998, and someone else will just tell me to fuck off.

Clank. Traveling call. The MSG crowd boos.

That said, spinning and Lamar: It's past time to cool it a bit.

I respect your passion, even your anger. But pick your spots.

9. Agreed. I sure wish basketball season were over.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Lamar,

I have many friends in Iraq, now. About 13 the last time I counted. I have only one in Afghanistan. I probably liked the least of all the friends I have who are deployed. But there's a big difference. The guys in Iraq were all a class ahead of me, but we were all good friends. The guy in Afghanistan, however, was in MY class. He commissioned standing shoulder to shoulder with me. Although we didn't see eye to eye all the time, we learned a lot from one another. He learned how to deal with assholes by studying with me. And I learned how to be patient from him.

And, now, he's over there. In harm's way. And I'm here studying to be a flyboy. I feel guilty about it, but there's nothing I can do about it now. Fate. What can you say?

Even though Jesse -- a ginger kid from Memphis -- and I didn't get along very well and were sometimes at one another's throats, I find it very offensive that you use this situation to make a political punchline.

Dissent is one thing, a good thing. Irresponsibility is another.

11. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Stop trying to bully me. I resent the fact that W's failure is being redirected at me. If we had put more boots on the ground, finished the job at Tora Bora and not diverted out attention and resources to Iraq, these nine soldiers likely wouldn't even have been in Afghanistan.

I would never use soldier deaths as a punchline. Was my sending materials to 3 bags full last year to send to soldiers a Joke? I honor our servicemen and women for their sacrifice.

We could and should have wiped out the Taliban and Bin Laden's supporters in 2002/03 but six months before the official Iraq invasion, W shifted men and resources away from Afghanistan to Iraq.

But, yes this is all my fault. Sorry. NOt going to be bullied or Swift-boated. Those soldiers deserved better. They deserved leaders who valued their lives and not used as domestic political leverage. But, the 2002 elections were more important than stomping out those responsible for Sept. 11. So the drum beat for war set up a vote in Oct. 2002 for Iraq when we hadn't finished the job in Afghanistan.

Most Americans are fatigued from Iraq and they've forgotten Afghanistan.

I haven't and I won't be silenced by message board bullies.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted