1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/9/09

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Sep 9, 2009.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So what do we plan for Oct. 10 next year?

2. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

And following that belly laugh, I now have a personal icon. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The best day, though, had to be 6-9-69.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

On 9-9-09, my change at the Kwik-E-Mart was $6.66. I think the clerk was a little scared.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I had a buddy who would go to K-Mart on Halloween and buy $6.66 worth of goods and slam exact change down the moment the total appeared. He creeped out several people but is now well-adjusted, as far as I know.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The theme song for today:

I remember, as a kid, watching the nightly news, and they made a big deal about 6-6-66 (superimposed numerals on the screen, which was like ultra high tech at the time).

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hell, they made a sorta big deal of 6-6-06. It was only the day Roger Clemens started his big-league comeback with the Astros ...

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

oh my goodness gracious!!! :eek: :eek:

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The local news tonight did a story on a kid who was born yesterday (OK, two days ago now that it's past midnight) at 9:09 and came in at 9 pounds. Had he been 9 pounds 9 ounces, they probably would have led with "BREAKING NEWS!!!"

10. Jssst21

Jssst21 New Member

Actually, huge day for weddings in China as well. The number nine sounds similar to the Chinese word for "long" (as in time) and as such is considered quite auspicious for weddings. Tons o' weddings over here in Taiwan.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Of course, all that means is that he was born between 9:05 and 9:15. I'm sure there were a few "Just put down 9:09" suggestions to the people filling out the forms.

12. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Well, close....I had a friend whose husband died on 9/9/99. She said he would have loved the irony.

Draft saved Draft deleted