1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Sep 11, 2010.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Umm, hello!?

This kind of thing leaves me more convinced than ever that people are becoming more stupid and oblivious all the time. It's incredibly sad, and bad.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just think that, as the years go by, people tend to put it further and further in the back of their minds.

Ultimately, I think it'll become thought of the way our generation thinks of Pearl Harbor. "Oh, yeah, I get it. It was a rough day for you guys. What's on TV?"

I was just watching the History Channel special "Countdown to Ground Zero" and while it didn't reveal anything new to me--I've read a couple of books on 9/11 and have heard the majority of the survivor stories the special told--the footage still takes me back to that day.

I wonder if they'll have anything in NYC ready for next year. I sure hope so. Even if it's just a makeshift public memorial, they've got to put something there for the 10th anniversary right?

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Sure, it's Wikipedia. But this page is quite incredible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_for_the_day_of_the_September_11_attacks

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As we mark the anniversary, the fact that it's nine years later and ground zero is still basically a hole in the ground and not the site of a beehive of re-construction adds to the awfulness of that horrible, horrible day.

5. old_tony

One of the things I've noticed in so many of the reports is how all four planes were well below capacity.

The airline industry sure has changed since then, with the drastic cuts in flights making nearly every plane full on just about every flight I've been on.

6. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

It's 38 stories above ground now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_World_Trade_Center#2010

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I suspect that is also a reflection of the awfulness of that day.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This thread not only makes me feel sad. It makes me feel old with so many posters who were in high school.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I honestly can't fathom that now, and especially then, people don't get it. I honestly don't. It's not being insensitive. It's being a complete idiot.

Two buildings in New York and one in Washington were hit. But every American -- from Bar Harbor, Maine to San Diego and Bellingham, Wash. to Key West -- was attacked that day.

10. old_tony

I stand corrected and feel a little bit better. Still, it's sad that they had the site cleared in May of 2002 and couldn't get started on construction until 2006 because of squabbles.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was living in South Florida and got woken up by my closest friend, crying hysterically to turn on the TV. And her saying, "It's not a dream, it's not a dream." I told her I needed to call my family on the West Coast and wake them up. I remember telling my grandfather who picked up the phone at my parents' house, and he woke up my mom, and I could hear him telling me what I had just told him.

Watching the first parts of MSNBC's replay of the Today show from that morning still moves me -- and always will.

And I did some traveling today, and every flag I saw along the interstate was at half mast.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I often wonder how much worse it would have been if those bastards had flown planes into the buildings four hours later, with many more people at WTC and, presumably, many more people on the planes.

Draft saved Draft deleted