1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11: Your feelings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

cool.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

For a long time, I was angry at God or whatever you want to call the Higher Religious Entity. Growing up, you go to services and it's beaten into your skull that He/She/It will protect you from evil. Well, 3,000 innocent people were murdered for no reason. Well, where were the Religious Entity?

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Where was God during the Serbs' ethnic cleansing campaign? Where was God during the Rwandan ethnic cleansing campaign?

I think He was in the same place on 9/11/2001: looking on helplessly, distraught over the actions of His children. I believe God doesn't help on these things not out of spite or as a test but instead because He can't affect outcomes on this plane of existence. Kind of conflicts with the all-powerful deity mythology, but it's the only logical explanation.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

God (or the highest Diety) is supposed to be all knowing, all powerful and all good. The problem is that he can't be all three, at least not if you apply logic (and I think this is from my freshman logic class). He can be two of them, but not all three. I've always kinda figured that he's all knowing and all good, but can't affect day-to-day events like he could if he (or she) was all powerful.

Just my two cents worth at any rate.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well and the whole free will thing coming into effect when Jesus died and was resurrected.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree ... there was little God COULD do because he's given us free will. If he abandoned free will, he very easily could pluck the terrorists out of the plane, fling them naked into the Atlantic and personally guide in all those flights.

There's sometimes a very terrible price we pay for our faith, and our freedom, but I truly believe it's better than the alternative.

Draft saved Draft deleted