1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9-11 Note

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thought this was interesting on several levels. A note tossed out of one of the towers on 9-11 found its way to the man's family a decade later. The family assumed he was killed instantly when one of the planes struck the building but apparently that wasn't the case.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Father-s-note-changes-family-s-9-11-account-3850490.php#page-1

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's some pretty powerful stuff.

3. Armchair_QB

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I read that a couple days ago and couldn't figure out what to make of it. Seemed like it was a fresh level of agony for the family, both because of how much time there had been for them to move on (only to be brought back) and because it shattered their illusion that he was killed instantly and didn't suffer or have time to anticipate his own death.

Powerful story, though.

5. Armchair_QB

Yeah, I can't imagine having to relive that.

But it blows me away that the note even made its way to them. We're talking about one scrap of paper out of millions that came out of that building and somebody happened to pick it up on the street.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And they were able to trace its origin/author by the smudge of blood from a thumb print.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing. That was powerful stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted