1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 Museum Opens to Public Next Week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Nobody has a problem with 9/11 generating money as long as it goes back into "the cause," which is what any profits from gift shop sales will do. All proceeds go to maintaining the museum, not into someone's pockets.

Also, commercialization of the tragedy started happening within days and has continued to the present. Someone, somewhere gets outraged by its commercialization every year.

I mean, lord knows how much money was spent trying to develop infrastructure to profit off a United 93 memorial in Shanksville, for example.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I understand that the feelings would be raw at a site of mass death and turning it into a tourist location (which it already is) or a bunch of new office buildings (which it is going to be) might upset the families of those who have died. And if a Shake Shack and a Dylan's Candy open up, I comletely understand that it would be disrepectful to the tone of the memorial.

But this is faux-outrage.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tasteless and lack of sophistication but I guess you could say
    that's it's our way of life so in many ways a chotski shop is
    a fitting memory.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The gift shop is a terrible idea. Paying the bills is no excuse because you have to pay admission to the museum, which I don't really have a problem with.

It's really too bad this has been done. Haven't been to the museum, but the reports indicate it's very well done. I have been to the memorial, which is exceptionally well done and strikes the right tone.

Gift shop? Offensive and tacky.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The two-fisted Yard of Beer souvenir mug in the shape of the Twin Towers is over the line.

6. Boom_70

The model Boeing 767 and Twin Towers prayer rug are pretty much over the
    top as well.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what beans they'll be using in the Cafe?

I hope they're using a good roaster.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If Darren Rovell visited the 9-11 museum:

http://boringasheck.com/2014/05/20/darren-rovell-visits-the-911-memorial-museum/

9. Boom_70

@peterking had the opportunity to visit 9/11 museum. It was a bit of a disappointment. There was no context. No real attempt to show the place exactly as it was. No Starbucks either.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York Times:

Draft saved Draft deleted