1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 Museum Opens to Public Next Week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. But most museums don't have a single-theme that relates to a mass murder still relatively fresh in a lot of people's minds.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Still have to pay the bills.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Have to think that they could have found plenty of companies willing
    to underwrite without having to resort to selling t shirts and key rings
    to make ends meet.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just visited the Pentagon last week. They have a very nice chapel at crash site and a very nice memorial set up outside where the plane hit before striking the building.

There is Pentagon gift shop, but no separate one for the crash site.
    I think they had some 9-11 items for sale in the gift shop, but I'm not sure. I didn't really pay attention to what was in the gift shop.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There was a gift shop at Auschwitz, but it only sells books and videos (no T-shirts, thank goodness), although there is a snack kiosk. Would feel kind of weird to eat a Snickers bar at a place where a million people died, so I passed. Auschwitz had more of a museum feel than a funereal one.

Birkenau (it's a two-fer since both camps are adjacent to each other) was much more somber.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Selling trinkets sounds a little callous, but if you can't enjoy a frothy cappuccino while paying your respects to the fallen, then the terrorists have won.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If I ever do visit the Museum, I'll feel better knowing that if I become overcome with emotion, I can sit down to a delicious double espresso to steady my nerves.

That's peace of mind, and it's a public service.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the big deal.

You can't go 5 seconds in the NYC area without seeing someone wearing a t-shirt, hat or driving a car with some sort of decal commemorating the tragedy or in some way honoring the first responders. I assume that they weren't handmade or weren't sold for cost. Mrs. W and I collect magnets from places where we have visited and I have one from the Holocaust Museum. I think that I'm honoring the idea of the memorial and don't believe that (or this) is crass or disrespectful.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"They raised millions and millions of dollars, which of course was enormously helpful, and the Mets and Yankees donated a great deal to the Twin Towers Fund, the police department and the fire department," Giuliani said. "But the best thing they did was give their time and spend time with the families.

"It just lifted their spirits and made them feel that the person they lost was so important that Derek Jeter or Mike Piazza or Paul O'Neill would spend time with them."

From Sept. 21, 2001:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. The Big Ragu

I must be missing something. What does the Yankees and Mets giving money in the immediate aftermath to a charity that was supposed to aid the families of the first responders have to do with a gift shop on the site selling mugs and T-shirts 13 years later?

11. The Big Ragu

I think the people who object have a problem with a gift shop selling trinkets at the site their loved ones died. Not that people buy things commemorating 9/11.

I kind of get it. It won't feel right if there is Disney Store vibe at the WTC site.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My Parents Went to Auschwitz

And I All Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt!

Draft saved Draft deleted