1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 doubts and/or questions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SockPuppet, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Other questions gandhi would embrace:

Does the sun rise in the west?

Is 2 plus 2 equal to 5?

Are there 53 states in the USA?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The quickest road to a conspiracy theory is incompetence, and there was plenty of it going around on 9/11.
    The screeners didn't stop the hijackers at the airport? Must have been an edict from on high to let them through.
    NORAD's response time was slow? Couldn't have been that the hijackers did their job well and no one was prepared for this scenario. Better to believe that Bush or Cheney or some administration flunky ordered them not to respond.
    Bush sat in the classroom for too long? Why, he wasn't trying to show calm, grossly incompetent or thinking to himself what the hell was going on. He was in on it all along!

A stunning lack of education -- especially when it comes to physics -- also contributes.
    The hole at the Pentagon seems too small? Must have been a missile. The wings of the plane couldn't have snapped off or disintegrated when they hit the ground or a reinforced military building that was probably designed to withstand a strike.
    The twin towers pancaked instead of tipping over? Must've been controlled demolition, not millions of pounds of debris from a square building falling in on itself -- in a building that had exposed girders in its interior, by the way. I'd think people would tend to notice someone installing the thousands of pounds of explosives on nearly every level of the building that it would take to destroy a building of that size in the manner the conspiracy theories describe.
    An upward gust of air? Try pushing a full soda can into a glass of water, or your hand into an empty box. What happens? Water or air is displaced and goes to where it can -- up and out. Hence, you get an upward gust.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Batman,

Sure those scientific facts are nifty and all, but my main question would be: What would have been the goal of sinister forces in the government having a hand in those attacks?

To set the stage so W could lie us into a profitable war in Iraq?

Hell, they could have shot down a military jet near the Iraq border and claimed Saddam did it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saddam's boys were taking potshots at U.S. jets for years in the no-fly zone without a massive retaliation from us. Just the occasional cruise missile shower. A jet actually getting shot down wouldn't have been enough, I don't think, to warrant an invasion.

My point was that conspiracy theorists look for conspiracies in everything, even when all evidence and common sense indicate otherwise.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your response to what I wrote (i just reread my post several times) is, "as you as you get to watch American Idol, stick your pecker in your girlfriend"???? Way to insult me, douchebag. You showed me the error of my ways. Hell, you summed up the tenor of my post perfectly! Man, do you know how to argue in coherent terms.

OK. He's simply asking questions. I have a few questions. When I walk down the street, the ground looks really flat to me. I'm calling bullshit on the whole "earth is round" thing. I think there is a conspiracy here. And while we're at it, my buddy Carl Everett raised questions the other day about the whole moon landing thing. I'm thinking now that it was all filmed in a TV studio somewhere in Iowa. Seriously, I have seen dozens of websites making a really convincing argument about this. I am just being intellectually curious, after all. And you know, that Iranian president guy raises some interesting questions about the Holocaust. I mean, maybe some Jews died, maybe they didn't, but people have a lot of questions about this thing. And man, just the other day, this dude told me about aliens from outer space that visit him every night. Again, I went right to the web, and damned if I didn't stumble upon these truth-telling sites that expose this vast government conspiracy to keep us from knowing about how aliens are living among us. Why aren't more people asking questions about this? ...

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

For every person who flatly denies every "conspiracy theorist" with having no credibility, I feel the same way about every person who uses terms like wackos or fruitcakes in their dismissal of these people. This is a very complicated (and obviously delicate) issue and no matter how smart any of us think we are, none of us have the intelligence or all of the information from that day to say that we know exactly what happened. The best you can do is go by what you saw, what you believe and what you've learned about the day. So to dismiss someone just because they don't believe everything they've been told about that day is ridiculous to me.
    As for knowing simple physics and knowing that is why the towers collapsed, we never got to the heat of jet fuel burning in a building and causing it to collapse in my high school class. Obviously many scientists have backed this up, but there are many who refute it. Who is right? I don't know, but the point is "conspiracy theorists" aren't coming up with these conclusions solely in their own warped minds.
    And finally to reinforce what I said in my first post, I really don't know how much, if any, of a conspiracy was involved with 9/11, but the thing that has really pulled at the conspiracy strings in me is the collapse of building 7. That collapse just doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I'd be interested to hear people's take on why that happened.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't feed the trolls by posting here. Some things simply don't merit a response.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

20% of the base of #7 was damaged heavily when #2 fell. You lose that much support, things are gonna fall.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

My brother-in-law is a civil engineer who works for a major construction company and has built several major buildings. When the two planes hit, he gathered in a conference room with the other engineers at his firm and said, "Those buildings are coming down." He knew that the heat generated by the burning jet fuel would damage the integrity of the structures.
    Or are you, too, an engineer, Sports P.?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yeah, sadly, I know ...

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Here's my next question then which has more to do with competency than conspiracy. Where were all of these experts to let the police and fire dept. know that the towers were going to collapse. If it was an inevitability, why would they risk all those lives sending them into the buildings?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. 1 -- A lot of them knew they weren't coming out but went in anyway. That's bravery.

No. 2 -- Because of different radio frequencies and equipment and such, the folks that knew the buildings were going to fall couldn't get word to the folks sending people into the buildings.

Draft saved Draft deleted