1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

9/11 conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 11, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Re: 9/11: Real or fake?

I also loved the pimple-faced little punks they interviewed who supposedly made the "best" 9-11 conspiracy theory documentary ... and they literally were working out of their mother's basement. A walking, taking cliche of bloggers in their PJs. Can't make stuff like that up.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Well put.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did no one here read the "9/11 Report" on the attacks?

There was a security memo dated August 6 that made it quite clear--beyond 'chatter" that Bin Laden was prepared to attack the United States and it was virtually ignored.

Included in the memo were warnings of hijackings.

It's pretty basic. Stop the hijackings and terrorists don't fly in to buildings.

This doesn't change the horrible nature of the acts or the idiocy of the conspiracy theorists but let's not haul out the "Who would have imagined...." line that Fredo's gang used to drag out.

"Who would have imagined Katrina would breech the levies"?

"Um, engineers--for several years".

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Consider that conspiracy theory has become remarkably profitable. It's not always that exponents are choosing to be loons.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People profiting off this conspiracy theory are infinitely worse than people who are just gullible enough to believe it.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yeah, might be my favorite-ever Ragu post.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not a consumer. There are enough legitimate "mysteries" to investigate. I do think a few of these make for decent banter in a quasi-social setting (the moon landing being my favorite). Not this one, though.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

So we shouldn't be surprised by the number of creationists, should we?

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have made a (bad) habit of listening to the Alex Jones radio program late at night ... which is the perfect time for such. He's a 9/11 Truther and waaaaay out there, from my perspective at least.

He's tied in with the Loose Change crowd of deniers and man, it's doesn't matter how much debunking goes on, they just roll with it and keep up the fight. Even Popular Mechanics is evidently in cahoots with the real plotters, don't you know.

Reminds me a little bit of how the millennialist crowd (Van Impe, etc.) was able to seamlessly go from holding up the Soviet Union as proof of their End of Days prophecy to pointing to the European Union as the real culprit.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Who said there is no live footage of the attacks? Of course there is.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love Loose Change. It's like living in a parallel universe.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

watch the South Park episode on the topic.
    The fact that these nutbags don't use basic logic when figuring out if it was fake is ridiculous.

Draft saved Draft deleted